Recommended Building Books

Must have Books, for free, sale or swap.
Darren

Re: Recommended Building Books

Post by Darren » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:32 am

puremajek wrote:rexd666

If you have time on your hands and are a perfectionist, yes. Otherwise I would chat to others in your area.
Nothing beats hands on when it comes to practical skills, but I fear it might be a bit like learning to drive. You can get your Dad to teach you, but there is no substitute for proper training by a professional, and some theoretical understanding of what's going on. The Gougeon book is worth spending a bit of time on, even if you only skim it.

At the end of the day, you're investing many thousands of hours and hundreds of thousands of dollars, so a few hours (or days) of reading is an excellent investment. It will also help you filter out fiction from fact. This may help you avoid making a mistake that bites you a few years down the track, because you will have a better chance of detecting advice that just does not sound right.

Cheers

Darren

sea_bee

Re: Recommended Building Books

Post by sea_bee » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:07 pm

I definitely agree with Darren's comments.
Darren wrote: The Gougeon book is worth spending a bit of time on, even if you only skim it. ...

This may help you avoid making a mistake...
Earlier in this post, the comment was that this book would be good for Duflex builders, but most of the book refers to wood-epoxy construction.

What is so good about this book is the scientific testing that they have put into techniques. One example is the section on fixed hardware, where they have have tested the options up to failure under tension and sheer.

Given that this book is now free, I would describe it as a "must read".

Chris