Non Fiction - Cruising Books

Must have Books, for free, sale or swap.
puremajek

Post by puremajek » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:05 am

Found these and they may help those not accustomed to the water life, a little more interesting.

The Taming of the Crew Michael Brown & Sue Neale-Brown - A New Zealand family of 4 that sold up and headed into the Pacific :D ,

Together Alone Ron Falconer- Sailing family of 4 set-up home on an Atol in the Pacific :D ,

Treasure Island Pamela Stephenson - Great trip in a huge 'stink-boat' from America to Pacific Islands :lol: ,

Into Diving?

The Reefs of Taprobane Arthur C Clarke - Great stories on diving adventures on some good reefs :shock:

Solo Voyaging?

Voyaging the Pacific Miles Hordern - Lone sailor goes from New Zealand to Patagonia in South America :shock: ,

Please let me know if anyone has more ‘family’ orientated books. Not only will it help me with my family, but many other first-timers, thanks
James

northerncat

Post by northerncat » Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:11 am

where did you chase these titles down from james

sean

puremajek

Post by puremajek » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:32 am

I have them on my shelf. They are all second-hand with the exception of Together Alone which I picked up with a quality pair of Binoculars (ha, ha...) from a magazine subscription.

All were located in Elizabeth’s Secondhand Bookstores who unfortunately only have stores in Sydney, Perth and Fremantle. The Fremantle store is a treasure trove of sailing books, 1000's of them from building to racing and nearly all the single handed adventures, limited on Cruising Family stuff though. Some are pretty tatty and I suspect have been around the world a few times, but OK.

If there is one in particular that you want, let me know and I'll look next time I'm over there.
James

jaleel_da_sheik

Post by jaleel_da_sheik » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:28 pm

Maiden Voyage by Tania Aebi

An 18 year old girl from New York City is gifted a sailboat by her father and challenged with circumnavigating alone. An interesting perspective on maturing while exploring the globe. Also serves as an example of why it is good to take extra care of your boat's engine(s)!

- ryan

sailorladd

Re: Non Fiction - Cruising Books

Post by sailorladd » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:27 pm

Those are pretty cool, and to add to the list, there is a new one out quite different from the usual how-to manual or you-must-go-here travelogue, it's by a guy called Jonathan Reid, and it's an ebook called Days of Deja vu on Kindle. Pretty interesting, as it is a non fiction but written as a novel, with several color photos!

He builds a boat from the keel up in South Africa and almost loses it on a maiden voyage, has to be rescued by the coast guard. He eventually sets sail and cruises a number of places around the world with his twin brother. Worth checking out.:)

rexd666
Site Admin

Re: Non Fiction - Cruising Books

Post by rexd666 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:36 pm

sailorladd wrote:Those are pretty cool, and to add to the list, there is a new one out quite different from the usual how-to manual or you-must-go-here travelogue, it's by a guy called Jonathan Reid, and it's an ebook called Days of Deja vu on Kindle. Pretty interesting, as it is a non fiction but written as a novel, with several color photos!

He builds a boat from the keel up in South Africa and almost loses it on a maiden voyage, has to be rescued by the coast guard. He eventually sets sail and cruises a number of places around the world with his twin brother. Worth checking out.:)
Admin Edited Version:
Those are pretty cool, and to add to the list, there is a new one out quite different from the usual how-to manual or you-must-go-here travelogue, it's by me, and it's an ebook called Days of Deja vu on Kindle. Pretty interesting, as it is a non fiction but written as a novel, with several color photos!

I built a boat from the keel up in South Africa and almost lost it on a maiden voyage, has to be rescued by the coast guard. I eventually set sail and cruises a number of places around the world with his twin brother. Please check it out and feel free to ask questions.

End Edit

I could be wrong, but somewhat of a coincidence that your email address is the name of the author...