Online Magazines

Must have Books, for free, sale or swap.
rexd666
Site Admin

Online Magazines

Post by rexd666 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:35 am

Just thought I would let others know about a couple of US magazines that you can subscribe to online for a fraction of the cost of print subcription, or buying them imported at the newsagent. I think they were around $20 for a years subscription.

Blue Water Sailing

Cruising World

Both are available through http://au.zinio.com. They have online and offline clients to read the magazines, and Cruising World on an iphone/ipad client.

The other thing that people should check out are e-readers for books, my Kindle can get me through a couple of books on a single charge, and I can carry thousands of books in a couple of hundred grams.

Steve

mahnamahna

Online Magazines

Post by mahnamahna » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:07 pm

Nice tip thanks Steve, hopefully Multihull World becomes available too, its about the only one I subscribe to (it may already be but until I take off I still enjoy getting it in the mail every couple of months). I have already started the transition. Since I moved interstate I still read the Melbourne newspapers online every morning.

But you have a very good point, same holds for movies and tv shows. With a Terrabyte drive you can store hundreds of movies on a singe unit and they cost about $100 bucks now and weight as you say less than 1 book and you transfer stuff to and from memory sticks and play them anywhere, on just about any laptop and most new LCD tv's also have usb now so you can play or record to the sticks (AVI/DivX files is the best format for ubiquitous play) I even watch movies on my phone when I travel.

About the only concern you have with a kindle (or laptop/tablet) is water, not that a trad book handles water too well either, but you see my point. Nevertheless it has never been easier for cruisers to carry around books and movies without needing to tow a barge behind them.

Finally

Online Magazines

Post by Finally » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:57 pm

I can see the future already.......

Rather than book swaps at anchorages / marinas etc it will be Kindle swaps.

David

mahnamahna

Online Magazines

Post by mahnamahna » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:45 pm

Finally wrote:I can see the future already.......

Rather than book swaps at anchorages / marinas etc it will be Kindle swaps.

David

I am not suggesting cruisers would do anything illegal, but you dont think that cruisers would be swapping movie files already, or the words I will burn you a copy dont regularly come up in sentences in anchorages? I am sure books will be the same.

Finally

Online Magazines

Post by Finally » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:27 pm

When stuck at anchorages waiting for the weather to turn there's a bit of "borrowing" of DVD's and books to help pass the time away. Whether you want to do an "offsite backup" :wink: is your decision.

rexd666
Site Admin

Online Magazines

Post by rexd666 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:38 am

Actually I think Amazon are talking about the ability to lend books you buy to a friend, I think it allows them to read it for a couple weeks, during which time you cannot read it. It then automatically comes back to you. Sure I read it somewhere over the last couple months.

I may email a couple other mags I get to see if they have been approached or looked into it.

rexd666
Site Admin

Re: Online Magazines

Post by rexd666 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:26 pm

FYI Cruising World US magazine subscription is US$5 for 72 Hours on zinio.com. I had a few issues getting it to swap to AU$ so I could buy with my account. But if you can get it to work you can't go wrong for <$5. I used the deal to extend my subscription to 18 issues as I was already renewed.

http://pgsforms.zinio.com/ats/url.aspx?cr=220&wu=102

puremajek

Re: Online Magazines

Post by puremajek » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:30 am

I moved away from Multihull World (which is now electronic) a few years back. While I understand the advertising makes the magazine, it seemed to spotlight the same propaganda each print back then.

Cruising Helmsman (electronic) is geared to just what the name says. It's multihull readership has climbed due to an effort to target multihull stories and odd builds and is my mag of choice.

Will look into the US ones, thanks Steve.
James