Cruising South

Reports on any trips that may assist others
44c

Re: Cruising South

Post by 44c »

Looks like we missed each other in both directions! We're down at gloucester now.

We generally do manage to sail 90% + of our miles. Sailed all the way from Dunk to within 1 mile of Paluma creek - light flukey winds in Hinchinbrook channel, but we managed to keep a houseboat honest for an hour or so...

Then sailed to windward all the way from Hinchinbrook to Magnetic, Magnetic to Cape Bowling green, and bowling green to Gloucester. Bowling Green - Gloucester was a real bash, never got to ease sheets for one second in 75 miles makes it a long day.
Jim

Post by Jim »

If I had more time I would have done more sailing and less motor-sailing, but as I said we were on a fairly tight time line. Except for a couple of days there was some wind around which we used when we could. Another problem I find up here is most of the wind comes from the S/E which is fairly parallel with the coastline, so you are either heading straight into it or it's right behind you. I am not really a sailor anyway, so I don't have any problems with running the engine/s when needed. Too impatient I think.
I saw your boat through my binos, and it looked huge, which a 44 footer is compared with a 37, maybe next time.
Jim.
dave

Post by dave »

Any inspirational pics to share 44C?
martica

Post by martica »

hi Jim thanks thanks for the inspiration

cheers mick
mySerenity

Post by mySerenity »

Knocked up a movie about Sailing South if you need some summer heat inspiration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa5B0aXF ... B8&index=2
James

https://www.youtube.com/user/puremajek

Post by Boothy »

Yeah James, that was me that passed you at 800 knots, hard at work!! Now I'm 'REALLY' sorry I had to turn down the opportunity aboard Pure Majek., the video looks fantastic........ Well I'm inspired,
I pick up the plans from Peter Snell next weekend. :D
Greg.
44c

Post by 44c »

Dunno if this is inspiritional, but it was a nice day's sail. From anchor up in the Gold Coast to anchor down at Iluka in 10 1/2 hours.

Trip summary page off our chartplotter:

These are GPS numbers.

(We actually could have completed the passage faster, but we had to cross a river bar at Yamba, and were going to arrive too early in the tide, so I dropped the (already double reefed) mainsail at around half distance. Oh yeah, and for the first hour or two we didn't have much wind, were only managing around 5 knots.)
kjay

Post by kjay »

When you are stuck in a rut building hull soles, sanding, glueing and glassing it is so easy to lose sight of the end, what a great video to get the focus back thank you james, for you continual effort to keep us builders inspired, Alan do you have any videos of you travels? if so would love to see them.
To all you guys out there doing it, anything you can post of you travels is always greatly appreciated, so thank you all again.

Thanks John

now back to head down a@#$# up
44c

Post by 44c »

Here's a video from last year, sailing toward Keppel. Nice day, and illustrates exactly what I built this type of boat for - not needing a gale to get going, good speeds in nice weather.

Chrisg

Post by Chrisg »

thanks Pure Majek and 44c for the kick along inspiration (videos. :) much needed and appreciated. 8-)
Chris & Michelle

Outback Dreamer - Sarah 23
http://www.outbackdreamer.com