cockpit glassing

Topics pertaining to fibre glassing, finishing issues, concerns and tips, epoxies and epoxy problems/resolves
terryk

cockpit glassing

Post by terryk » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:39 am

hi builders, did all you Easy builders glass under the cockpit roof :?: I am looking at it and thinking this is not going to be pretty :cry:
cheers
tee
terryk

martica

Re: cockpit glassing

Post by martica » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:49 pm

Hi terry I'm just going to going to high build and then paint I just finished filling screw holes today so ready to sand o joy

Cheers mick

puremajek

Post by puremajek » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:10 pm

Hi Terryk

Not sure its needed, BUT...Would strongly encourage you to glass the joins of the plywood (including in the saloon). If not done, hairline cracks may appear through the paint as the yacht ages. We angle grinded a 2mm deep strip along the joints about 60-80mm wide, lay strips of glass, then faired.

RE glassing the cockpit, we glassed to waist height throughout. This also helps with the stresses in this area and provides strength when bumped, kicked or when items are dropped or fall.
James

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:26 am

I glassed it but have tried to put the experience out of my mind... There's a certain challenge in working against gravity! :cry:

terryk

Post by terryk » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:30 pm

Thanks guys, I now have less stress than I did yesterday and a better idea of which direction to take :D
cheers
terryk

Romeo

Post by Romeo » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:48 pm

I glassed my sheets for the cockpit and painted the saloon ones with two coats of high build on a table before they went up. I now have plenty of screw holes to bog
Romeo

Chrisg

Post by Chrisg » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:49 pm

Thanks guys for the answers to the numerous questions i had not yet asked anyone.
Chris & Michelle

Outback Dreamer - Sarah 23
http://www.outbackdreamer.com

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:26 pm

I asked Peter Snell about what to glass and what not to, he said as a general rule, glass any surface that gets wet or gets direct sunlight. Which I did, so the undersides of the outside roof were not done but under the soles in the hulls were, which was handy because I had a bilge pump let in about 20 ltrs of seawater one day.
Jim.