To tape, or not to tape...?

Topics pertaining to fibre glassing, finishing issues, concerns and tips, epoxies and epoxy problems/resolves
Redreuben

Re: To tape, or not to tape...?

Post by Redreuben » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:18 pm

[quote="groper"] Some rules recommend foam spacers under bulkhead to hull joints to allow a small amount of flex.

Yes, I worked on a 40 footer being built to survey, foam hull ply bulkheads.
The bulkheads were separated from the hull by 15mm of 80k foam laid in strips cut of a contour foam sheet. with the foam and bulkhead installed the foam was radiuses with one of those sandpaper tubes on a die grinder (like a dremel) and then glassed. It was polyester too !

44c

Post by 44c » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:58 am

A glass taped cove can handle flexing. A glue fillet will only cope with a very small amount of movement before it cracks.

This is easy to test - just build a couple of small joins, one with glass one without, then give 'em a tap with a hammer.

44c

Post by 44c » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:07 am

groper wrote:I bought some plywood today, just going to build the interior cabinetry from it, everything else is foam core sandwich... I think I'm just going to use the AV515 polyurethane adhesive for all this stuff, epoxy seems overkill and more inconvenient having to mix it up every time...

For some of the furniture, we've been using a balsa cored plywood from Janden timber ( http://www.yellowpages.com.au/qld/brend ... sting.html )on the rebuild of School's Out. Good stuff, light and strong. We've also used some polycore. (Again, only for internal furniture) It's light, but I personally wouldn't dream of using it anywhere structural. You can just peel the laminates off like peeling an orange.

groper

Post by groper » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:57 am

Yah I looked into the balsa ply from there... Almost bought some of it, looks good. I also found a RV fit out company who would CNC all the furniture as a kit from it aswell.... Can't remember the name tho, down Brisbane way somewhere. They would cut everything out, do all the edge banding and laminates if desired and supply it like a a flat pack kitchen from bunnings type of thing... I ended up making my own tho, as I realised nearly all of it became structural stiffening so decided to keep everything foam core with fillets and tape.

Kitchen and bathroom guys are using a high density PVC board as a waterproof substitute for MDF in their cabinetry. It's a bit heavy, but it comes with high gloss surfaces both sides which don't require any further coating, cost is about $100 per 2400x1200 sheet. Might use some in very limited quantities where I need to use a lot of screws to mount things etc...

Redreuben

Post by Redreuben » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:51 am

Here is a lightweight fit out ply you may wish to consider.

http://www.goldcorelight.com/index.htm