epoxy remover

Topics pertaining to fibre glassing, finishing issues, concerns and tips, epoxies and epoxy problems/resolves
northerncat

epoxy remover

Post by northerncat » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:48 am

ill pass along my latest learned trick, as i have just painted internally i am up to putting all of my stringers in place to support the deck, this has meant even though i have been careful ive had the odd glue run, now i know meths cleans away epoxy but i have found it that little bit to slow so itried a little lateral thinking, i reasoned that the thinners that you use to clean up 2 pak epoxy based paints should clean up the resin well as well, this has worked extremely well and it even cleans up epoxy that has been cured for 6 hours(the hard slightly rubbery kind) 1 wipe with rag and thinners = good bye epoxy dribble

sean

puremajek

epoxy remover

Post by puremajek » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:35 am

Try white viniger too
James

northerncat

epoxy remover

Post by northerncat » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:57 am

the only problem with vinegar is that it breaks down the epoxy bond whereas the thinners and meths dont they just dilute it,

sean

44c

epoxy remover

Post by 44c » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:37 pm

I use vinegar for getting it off my skin, acetone for other bits.

northerncat

epoxy remover

Post by northerncat » Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:41 am

heres a cool but probably extremely dangerous trick, place some chocolate on your hand then pour some acetone into hand on top of the chocolate, within a short while you will "taste" chocolate even though it has never been near your mouth, this is the reason i will never use acetone unles im triple gloved as i dont wish to be tasting epoxy, i'm not sure whether the thinners have the same effect

sean

waikikin

epoxy remover

Post by waikikin » Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:52 am

Choco-ace-tate eh!, might be the newest thing on the club scene? I often solvent wipe glue lines to neaten em up but wear a charcoal cartridge mask & decent gloves, the thin ansell super market ones dont cut it, their ok for a little job but as soon as the ooze really starts to flow they let s..t through.Agree on the vinegar for skin, it still "de fats" it but at least its a safer bet than solvents loading up your liver leading to ......? Work safe & clean & enjoy your sailing, regards from Jeff. :D

boatsmith

epoxy remover

Post by boatsmith » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:04 am

We don't use acetone in our shop to work with epoxy. We use denatured alcohol to clean parts and tools. We take measures to avoid skin contact but inevitably get some on us. We find that waterless hand cleaners containing delimeoline work well on skin. David

kjay

epoxy remover

Post by kjay » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:51 pm

Hello everyone, I am interested in this denatured alcohol for clean up on the ply and frames, I was never good at colouring in (dam those pesky lines). Does anyone know where to get it from or as analternative where do you buy 20l vinager. thanks

John Sarah16