Vertical Strip Planking

Topics pertaining to fibre glassing, finishing issues, concerns and tips, epoxies and epoxy problems/resolves
Velas

Vertical Strip Planking

Post by Velas » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:54 am

What do you think of vertical strip planking as a method of construction ?

It is a method for mould-less vacuum infusion which I'm investigating as opposed to constructing with flat panels.

Some pictures attached as illustration.

The last picture shows a normal glass lamination, however, using closed cell pvc foam as the core it is possible to vacuum-infuse the full in one go (look for videos on youtube).

To me it looks very tempting and probably (much) cheaper than going with flat panels.

Probably the speed of construction will be the same or slightly slower.

Not to mention the amount of fairing and sanding that could be saved.

Darren

Re: Vertical Strip Planking

Post by Darren » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:03 am

I find foam fascinating stuff. I guess the key trade of is the time taken to build the mold. When you hear the fairing war stories for flat panel ply builds, it might be a fair trade off (no pun intended).

kjay

Post by kjay » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:03 am

There is a video on the net of a guy building a Farrier Tri using foam and it is on timelapse. I would think that the fairing the outer and inner faces would drive me crazy with all the compound curves. Unles you intend to build a false inner liner. Surely a flat panel design would be more efficient time wise.
I understand there is fairing on both styles, I am in the middle of it now. The majority of builders here on the forum are or have built in ply or duflex. so I am not sure if we can offer indepth advise if required however if this is the build method you choose, go for it and good luck. Just make sure your load ratings for you chainplates and compression bulkheads are correct for your construction. also in regards of your fibre glass cloth should be of correct weight for your inner hull and outer hull sides due to the concave and convex compression curves.
Good luck
John
Sarah 16

Velas

Post by Velas » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:42 pm

Well, some fairing is present in all constructions. But I come from the fairing of a full 10mt hull so not scared of it. It took me and a friend a week of work for the complete job (fairing and painting).

There will be much less fairing and weight when the shape is already smooth. Less tapes and no stripes to hide too. Much less bog that adds weight but no extra strength.

From what I read (take with a pinch of salt) the duflex panels are a little starved for resin. The theory here is that less matrix (resin) gives stronger panels. This is however offset by all the resin and fair necessary to achieve flat surface and water proof everything.

A single step infusion will give you all this, and leave you with a smooth surface ready for a single fair step before painting. This could be as little as necessary to fill the pits left from the peel-ply.

The reason I brought this up was precisely because I was surprised that even some of the designers I'm speaking with were not aware of this method of construction.

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:16 am

Hi Velas
Have you sent much time looking the the Fram website/blog? I think he's building a Farrier Tri somewhere in northern Europe. He's using this method and it makes a lot of sense to me. That said, I've looked at the fairing that he's done and it's quite extensive. He was doing spaghetti lines close together vertically on the hulls, long boarding those, filling in between the lines, final sanding/fairing and then high building/preparing to paint. It all looked pretty labour intensive to me although the finish is impressive.
I'm looking at a project at the moment and the plan is to use flat panels mostly above the waterline, laid up and vacuum bagged (full length of the boat) on the table to give a 'finished' outer side. I'm hoping this will only really leave fairing at the joins, eg along the waterline, deck join etc, before painting.
I'd love to see your build on here if you go ahead with it.
Good luck, Mike

Velas

Post by Velas » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:56 am

There's another builder in Europe that you can check on youtube: look for Zeilmee. They have not published anything in years, but there's a lot of interesting stuff to see in their videos.

Yes, I know about Fram. I actually got some input from him about the materials that he uses for infusion.

He did a very impressive job, but I think he's more into the building thing than into cruising. He started in 2003 and 13 years later still not launched. In all this time he could have make a plug and a mold.

I think the key is bending the core to perfect shape before infusion. Perhaps using wider core where the curves are and sanding it to shape (and thickness). Doing spagetti/high building with bog is exactly what I want to avoid. I will do some tests to see what kind of result I can obtain before deciding.

I guess you're doing KSS. It makes a lot of sense to me. It might be my second choice in case I cannot get a full infusion working.

I will publish my progress for sure.

44c

Post by 44c » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:43 pm

In reality, the fairing on a Duflex boat is pretty minimal, compared to a lot of other construction methods. Filling the weave is virtually a non-event. You squeegee a runny glue mix over the panels. The 44' x 6' sheer panels on my boat took about 1/2 a litre of epoxy. Not much of a weight gain.

The advantage strip planking, either vertical or horizontal, gives you is that you can produce compound curves, shapes that aren't available in Duflex. Although you can cut it into strips of you really want some compound curves.

Infusion is a great method of construction. But to get smooth finished panels, you need to infuse against some kind of mould or table. If you simply infused the glassing job shown in your photo's it would still need quite a bit of fairing, as the grain of the glass would show through. If you get the chance, have a look at the insides of a Fusion 40 kit's panels. The outside is excellent, done against a mould, but the insides do need a lot of work. As said earlier, fairing the inside of a compound curve isn't for the faint hearted.

A 1/2 way and cheaper than Duflex option might be to infuse your own flat panels on a table, then build an essentially flat panel boat. It would take longer than building in Duflex though.