glassing the keel

Topics pertaining to fibre glassing, finishing issues, concerns and tips, epoxies and epoxy problems/resolves
terryk

glassing the keel

Post by terryk » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:27 am

Hi builders, I`m having a debate with myself at the moment. I have finished building the mini keel, do I glass before I put up or after when it is attached to th hull??

Any thoughts??

Cheers

TerryK

madaz

glassing the keel

Post by madaz » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:48 am

I faired and glassed mine on the bench as they can be a bit of an awkward shape, which is only complicated trying to do it up on top of the hull.

I then set them to the bottom of the hulls in a bed of epoxy glue, nice round glue fillet then three layers of glass tape all round, starting at 70mm wide going upto 150mm wide

terryk

glassing the keel

Post by terryk » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:02 pm

Thanks Madaz, sounds like the easiest way to go.

Cheers

TerryK

malallo

glassing the keel

Post by malallo » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:01 pm

yeh that would of saved me some time

sea_bee

Re: glassing the keel

Post by sea_bee » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:58 am

Bounce...this old thread is relevant to me now.

I'm getting up to the keel stage now on our Sarah, and would like to hear contrary points of view about the merits of sheeting and glassing the keel before or after gluing it on.

One reason I am considering glassing before gluing is that I am thinking about a SS shoe on the keel. When I mentioned this to the designer, his only negative was the possibility of electrolysis.

Chrisg

Post by Chrisg » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:49 pm

we glued the keel of Outback Dreamer directly to the keelson / hull timbers. I beleive its more sound to do this than having a sheet of glass between, as it goes a step towards making hull and keel one piece. Not that would occur but i shudder at the thought of the glass betwwen keel anf hull peel off as ooops there goes the keel
Chris & Michelle

Outback Dreamer - Sarah 23
http://www.outbackdreamer.com

sea_bee

Post by sea_bee » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:16 pm

Thanks Chris

I had never imagined glassing between the joint for the reason that you mention.

But the question is more about how complete the keel should b,e before fitting it to the hull.

Should the keel go up as a skeleton, where you can screw through the top of the keel into the keelson? And to then get skinned and glassed later.

Or should the keel be complete, and glassed all over (except for the top face that mates to the keelson) and then get glued on?

I can see benefits and problems with either method, and I'd like to hear from any Easy builders about how they did it, and what problems they had.

Another Chris

kjay

Post by kjay » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:20 am

Chris,
I have actually just done one of each, my first hull assembled the mini keel up on the hull, second hull on the bench, My preffered one is on the bench, however I just sheeted the mini keel and when it was up on the hull then made the ends and glued them on up there, I did not glass on the bench either, just did the construction, the only issue is the compound curve where the side sheets meets the hull, you have to dry fit it a couple of times to get it right. I did this myself and it is a bit of an effort to lift it up and down by yourself as well as positioning it to do the glueing onto the hull without it sliding off. Once glued I placed a length of Ally rhs across the top then clamped timber down to the ground with a level on the top to square everything up.
There are pros and cons for both ways and not a real issue whichever way you decide.

sea_bee

Post by sea_bee » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:58 pm

Thanks John

I can see already pros and cons of both methods.

I am still considering completing the keel, glassing it, and taking it up to my metal fabricator mate to make a 316 shoe for it.

Before fitting the keel, don't we plane the keelson down until it was flat for the whole area of the keel? I thought that was take out the compound nature of the joint.

Chris

kjay

Post by kjay » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:55 pm

Chris,
It is surprising how little of the hull you plane down, just wide enough to sit the mini keel onto, I guess my planed area was about 40mm wide only, just remember that your rudder height has to be less than the mini keel and if you were to plane down too far you could be in trouble with finished heights. You don't want the rudder the lowest point of your hull in the water.
John