Which resin?

Topics pertaining to fibre glassing, finishing issues, concerns and tips, epoxies and epoxy problems/resolves
Bruce

Which resin?

Post by Bruce » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:15 pm

I'm in the process of ordering my materials, and wondering what resins others have used....and why?

I read somewhere that to determine how much resin to use, you weigh the cloth on digital scales, then multiply the weight by 1.5, and that is the amount of resin to use.

Can anyone verify whether this is a good guide?

Jim

Which resin?

Post by Jim » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:56 pm

Hi Bruce, I used FGI materials and the reasons were that I could get it at a OK price and they have an outlet in Cairns. I can't see where the quality would be any different between any of the major brands. As with Sean I will be well in excess of the 200lts that Peter said will be enough to complete the boat, an Easy 37. I will use around 375lt.

What Sean and I should have done was buy 3 x 200ltr drums between us, much cheaper.

In the wet season up here, on a quiet nite you can hear the mould growing on unprotected timber, so I have been applying epoxy to everything I make to reduce the effects of mould.

Jim.

44c

Which resin?

Post by 44c » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:11 am

I used mostly West System for the gluing and fairing, and Kinetix for the glassing. (Neither is particularly cheap) You should use different resins for the two applications.

You should be aiming to use as little resin as you can, and still get the glass properly wetted out. If you managed to get to 1:1 you'd be doing really well. At 1.5:1 you should have a fair bit of resin left over, which you can use to precoat your plywood.

Maybe mix 1.5:1 to start with, and weigh the left over resin to work out what ratio your'e getting.

Whimsical

Which resin?

Post by Whimsical » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:49 pm

1:1 is ideal and I find I can get that quite easily if I squeegy it out hard when glassing onto the Duflex panels. Duflex is pre glassed balsa core panels. When I glass over the duracore planking, hoop pine veneered balsa, it takes a bit more as the veneer sucks up some so I would think that ply would be similar to the duracore. I think about 10% extra would be about right.

I would just mix up enough for a 1:1 ratio to see how far it goes then mix more to finish as I really hate to waste any.

Mike

madaz

Which resin?

Post by madaz » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:09 am

This is getting all very technical, i wet out my glass cloth until its wet out then put on peel ply in most cases.

I have never been bothered to weigh the cloth then the resin.

No one told me i had to use a different resin for the glassing compared to the gluing either?

I have used R180 for everything. I hope it isnt going to fall apart. :shock:

If all is lost i will have to go and torch the boat and put in some dodgey insurance claim... :twisted:

Bruce

Which resin?

Post by Bruce » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:55 pm

I think what 44c is implying, is that you can't mix West System resin/hardener with Kinetix resin/hardener.

I like 44c's method though.....West System has a very good name and I'll probably go down the same path using it to glue the framework together, and ply panels to it.

Pity West is so expensive.

To keep costs down, I'm thinking of using the R180 for all glassing & fairing etc.

Steve & Duncan have used exactly what you have used Tony on their Easy 11, so I don't think anything is going to turn into matchsticks.

.....unlike a kayak I built when I was 12, using Aquadhere to save on costs :oops:

I thought the method of weighing cloth & resin might be a good way of ensuring that there was no wasteage of resin.....it's dear enought as it is.

northerncat

Which resin?

Post by northerncat » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:30 pm

i used r180 on mine with no complaints and just mixed resin as i need it for the big glassing jobs i ended up with very little waste

sean

Whimsical

Which resin?

Post by Whimsical » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:47 pm

The west is good for gluing and coving as it goes off faster. The Kinetics laminating resin is a lot slower which is good when laminating large areas. While the hardners can't be swapped around, after mixing I have applied West over the Kinetics while it is still very sloppy without probs. Smaller laminating jobs, especially when cool, I use the west. The Kinetics is also thixotropic which helps on vertical surfaces whereas the West is not and boy it loves to run.

Mike

terryk

Which resin?

Post by terryk » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:22 pm

Hi Bruce, I am just completing the glassing of first Easy37 hull, I am using Bote-Cote epoxy products, the cost, 200ltr epoxy + 100ltr of hardener $3652.00 for the 300ltr kit. Gluing/sanding powders range from $73 to $110 per 5 kg bag, there is also a TPRDA liquid, (timber preservative and reactive dilutent additive) for makinig up soak coats, it is used at a 10 to 20% ratio. I choose this product for its simplicity, 2 t0 1 mix, no amine blush very little smell and it covers every part of the project, gluing, laminating, fairing etc. But like the west epoxy it does tend to run. I precoat all my plywood sheets on one side laying them flat to dry, these will be used on the internal part of the hull, the other side I leave raw for better adhesion of the glassing laminate. You do waste some epoxy on the off cuts but the time saved in sanding runs more than covers that. I just used 6 ltrs to cover 22mtrs x 1 mtr of glass on the hull, I have no idea if this is good or bad!! but it all looks pretty stuck!!

Cheers

terryk

Bruce

Which resin?

Post by Bruce » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:25 pm

Thanks all for the responses to date.

I didn't pick up your post till just now Terry.....the little orange indicators of new posts doesn't always seem to come up on my screen even though I refresh this forum often :?

Nice to get some idea how much resin one is using per section of hull etc.

TPRDA I have heard of before.....Who makes/sells it?

Is everyone coating their sheets/bulkheads before assembly with a soak coat?

If so, both sides, or one side plus end grain only?

Is it possible to give an indication of how much powder is used for a given quantity of resin to make a gluing mix, or is it purely a matter of adding until consistency appears right?

How many 5kg gluing powder bags did you order for your Easy 37 Terry?

I'm building a Sunseeker 1100, so quantities would be fairly similar I should think.

Cheers

Bruce