Treated Pine

Topics pertaining to fibre glassing, finishing issues, concerns and tips, epoxies and epoxy problems/resolves
Trev

Treated Pine

Post by Trev » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:34 pm

Hello,

Does anyone know of any issues with glassing over treated pine? I just used Kiln dried treated pine for my mast compression post and now I am worried that there may be some reaction between the chemicals in each??

Trev

madaz

Treated Pine

Post by madaz » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:39 am

!! I hope you dont mean radiata pine! thats as weak as water.

I think there may be some issues, Sean mentioned some time ago something about it and the glass parting company with the wood i think.

The idea of epoxy is to preserve and strengthen (if glassed) the timber by penetrating into it therefore using treated timber is somewhat irrelevant if you used the epoxy correctly in the first place.

Trev

Treated Pine

Post by Trev » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:41 am

madaz wrote:!! I hope you dont mean radiata pine! thats as weak as water
Hi Madaz,

I am not worried about the strength of the pine, you can build a 3 storey house with radiata pine :) I was more concerned about a reaction between the "chrome arsenic"?? or what ever they use to treat the timber with and the the epoxy. I think I did a pretty good job on the glassing, the post is covered in glass and then it is taped to the bulkhead. So my concern is that the pine treatment may break down the epoxy over time?

Trev

Jim

Treated Pine

Post by Jim » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:43 am

I have the same for my mast post and the epoxy on it is just the same as anywhere on the boat. It was done about 18mths ago.

Jim.

madaz

Treated Pine

Post by madaz » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:57 am

You dont then stick a mast on a three story house and go sailing on it.

link to seans thread:

http://www.hostmybb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... forum=easy.

You can also build houses out of cement sheet but i wouldnt stick that on a boat either. using radiata pine sorry thats just madness. :shock:

Jim

Treated Pine

Post by Jim » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:51 am

Don't worry about it Trev. For the non Easy builders the mast sits on top of frame 5 which is a laminated ply frame consisting of 1 layer of 12mm, 1x19mm and 1x9mm and the mast post is the full height of that frame from the bridge deck floor to the top, glued and screwed to the frame, and it just helps support the front of the mast base, more than adequate. As I said, the epoxy on mine is just fine. Sean used some sort of treated timber around some of his hatches and the paint didn't take to it, which to me would seem like an oil based treatment, that's what it looked like anyway.

Jim.

Trev

Treated Pine

Post by Trev » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:43 pm

madaz wrote: You can also build houses out of cement sheet but i wouldnt stick that on a boat either. using radiata pine sorry thats just madness. :shock:
But I've never seen a house build out of ply? :lol:

Sorry but I couldn't help it :wink: I hope this dosen't start something

Trev

straydog

Treated Pine

Post by straydog » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:57 pm

i am a carpenter by trade , and yes i have built a house using ply :D

Trev

Treated Pine

Post by Trev » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:12 pm

straydog wrote:i am a carpenter by trade , and yes i have built a house using ply :D

How thick where the walls? :lol: I new I would start something

Trev

puremajek

Treated Pine

Post by puremajek » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:19 am

Hi Trev,

We used treated pine for the water channels below our bow locker hatches. It has worked well for us, however...if the timber is not super dry, you will have bonding issues.

There is a thread on the forum somewhere were 'northerncat' and I were discussing the issue, but I can't locate it at the moment. He did have an issue with something he did using treated pine.

Our channels were done this way given that they could hold water for long periods. We did get kiln dried, but stored it for a few months to dry right out. This was then glued, glassed and painted.

To date, no issues.
James