Treated Pine

Topics pertaining to fibre glassing, finishing issues, concerns and tips, epoxies and epoxy problems/resolves
Trev

Treated Pine

Post by Trev » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:35 am

Thanks James,

I reckon it should be alright? I just had one of those "Oh shit" moments just after I had finished glassing it in.

Trev

straydog

Treated Pine

Post by straydog » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:01 pm

90mm pine stud clad with 19mm routed ply, looked quite good too

Trev

Treated Pine

Post by Trev » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:38 pm

A couple of photos of the mast compression post

Trev

Redreuben

Re: Treated Pine

Post by Redreuben » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:27 pm

Oh dear,

Compression post, hatch gutters, faaaark. What timber did the designer recommend ? Well ?

"Caveat Emptor"

Trev

Post by Trev » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:57 am

Caveat Emptor, Why?
Expand on your trepidation.
Trev

Redreuben

Post by Redreuben » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:17 pm

Buying a boat who's builders philosophy of using pine is "I reckon it should be alright?"

Like I asked, is this what the designer specified ?

How many designers specify Radiata pine ?

Do the properties of radiata match what was specified ?

No ! "She'll be right mate"

FFS how few dollars have you saved ?

Radiata can't handle cyclic loads it just breaks down (look how spongy pine decking goes after about 18months 2 yrs) It has massive expansion and contraction.
It isn't a timber that should be in a boat period ! In my humble opinion.
RR

Trev

Post by Trev » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:27 pm

Settle down RR!
I don't think you should start attacking my building philosophy or the quality of my construction, because you know nothing about either, and I might take offence.

As far as the material chosen, this decision was made for a number of reasons. The designer nominated Oregon (Douglas Fir) a close relative to radiata pine, now Oregon has been banned by numerous councils for use in external construction like decks, verandahs, etc. because of its extremely poor resistance to fungal attack. It rotted away when it got wet.

Now the structural properties of Kiln dried treated pine V's Oregon. Timber in general is extremely strong in compression, like I mentioned earlier in this thread that " you can build a 3 storey home using radiata pine studs" and I would wager that there would no difference in the compressive strength of pine and oregon. So my reasoning is I have substituted a material that IS just as strong and won't rot if it ever came in contact with water.
I am sorry your pine decking didn't cut the mustard, but this example is hardly relevant, oregon would be worse.

Implying I have a "she'll be right mate" attitude or I risk the integrity of my boat to save a couple of dollars is an insult and proves you don't know anything about me.
Trev

Mick@itc

Post by Mick@itc » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:17 pm

Hi

I worked in the steel industry for 20 plus years and learned something about treated pine. Treated pine eats steel. Yes even painted steel or galvanised steel or zincaluminium steel. It is due to the copper and chrome in the treatment and galvanic potential differencial. From what I see you have encapsualated the timber in resin so it may be inert but dont screw anything into it.

Regards
Mick
Mick
If all you have is a hammer...everything is a nail!

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:47 pm

"Buying a boat who's builders philosophy of using pine is "I reckon it should be alright?"

Like I asked, is this what the designer specified ?"

Designers are fairly clever people, but they are not experts on everything. My entire boat is built out of Hoop Pine as per the designers advice as I couldn't get much else of any quality at the time. As he has built and designed sh*t loads of timber/ply boats I took his advice. On other areas I went my own way as I have an engineering type background, so when it came to the metal bits I went with my own experience. For example the chain plate bolts are, recommended, 1/2" diameter and there is about 19 of them from memory. Now a single 1/2" S/S bolt in single sheer would be strong enough to pick the finished boat up and throw it into the next Postcode, so I used 3/8" instead, heaps cheaper and more than strong enough. My point is, while they are a great source of advice and most have been in the game forever, just because they didn't recommend something, doesn't mean a bolt of lightning will strike you down, or your boat will fall apart if you go in a slightly different direction. IMO.
Jim.

puremajek

Post by puremajek » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:06 pm

Hi Trev

Don't be alarmed.

Have a chat/view with a few who have experience in ply-type vessels, preferably completely built from pine and see it first-hand for yourself. I am aware of 4 designers here in Australia who offer pine as a full building medium on their 10-13m boat types.

There are hundreds of 10-12m yachts and thousands of other smaller boats that have been very successfully built out of pine. Choose the correct grade (BB grade or better - in AUS) and you will be just fine, better still - talk to the people who made the ply.

You are more than welcome to look at mine are there are plenty more in the Brisbane area if you head up this way. We have been on the water for 3-4 years with absolutely no problems. Others have been on the water (permanently) for 16 years, they too have no problems.

Regarding 'treated pine', now that is a little different but can still be used. As mentioned in a previous contribution, the chemicals used can be damaging. Our hatch gutter parts were completely glassed, faired and two-packed and we would use it again tomorrow. The trick is to ensure it is completely dried and sealed from the elements.
James