Glassing the Decks

Topics pertaining to fibre glassing, finishing issues, concerns and tips, epoxies and epoxy problems/resolves
Future

Glassing the Decks

Post by Future » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:08 am

Glassing the decks.

I am going to overlap the fibreglass cloth as suggested in a different thread but my question to be the people who have tackled this task is…

Where do you start :?:

I sat in the cockpit today looking at all the different surfaces, angles and curves trying to work out the best system for laying the fibreglass so that when it came to fairing out the joins they would be in easy accessible locations.

Should the joins be on the vertical or horizontal surfaces :?:

Thoughts? :D :D

44c

Glassing the Decks

Post by 44c » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:42 pm

You're going to paint a lot of the horizontal surfaces in non-skid, which will hide a multitude of sins. Most verticals will be gloss, so need to be pretty fair.

I hardly faired my decks at all. The non-skid covers a hell of a lot. That's where I'd be putting most of the joins, if possible.

madaz

Glassing the Decks

Post by madaz » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:09 pm

Gday Adam, i am soon to post some pics of the boats paint job, i hired a pro for final fairing and paint, as alan said is pretty on the money. one thing i would add is; dont put any overlaps in that are near corners or coves as they are much harder to fair out, where ever possible of course.

Future

Glassing the Decks

Post by Future » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:26 am

Thanks Guys

That was pretty much what I had figured out. A couple more days of sanding and then I think I am ready to begin. I am hoping to complete all the deck glassing in a week (fingers crossed). :lol:
Last edited by Future on Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jim

Glassing the Decks

Post by Jim » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:54 am

Yea, there is not much point spending time and materials on the deck finish then spending more time and materials making it rough so you don't slip over. The anti slip will cover almost anything.

Jim.