Composite Easy?

Topics pertaining to fibre glassing, finishing issues, concerns and tips, epoxies and epoxy problems/resolves
rexd666
Site Admin

Composite Easy?

Post by rexd666 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:37 am

I would say it would be essential to talk to the designer if any structural panels were to be changed from the plan. Even furniture could have effects on the design if the weights calculated in the design are altered too much. I think easy plans and oram plans are similiar cost, or at least close enough in the overall scheme of things. So in that case I would say go for a composite design or Ply design, but don't try to mix and match without the designers advice.

44c

Composite Easy?

Post by 44c » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:55 am

mahnamahna wrote:DIsagree that composite boat would be faster to build than ply. Every exposed edge must be decored and back filled, very time consuming.
And with a ply boat, the whole thing needs to be glassed!

IMO comparisons of claimed build times are difficult - for a start you need to compare similar boats. Easy's are a fair bit smaller than most Orams or Schionnings. And the surface area goes up exponentially with length. Then there's the level of finish acheived - and even differences in what people might call "finished" ie some launch a boat with virtually no interior fitout, while others are ready to sail away.

My boat took a bit under 4 years - and even had food in the cupboards when it was launched. I know some Easy's have been built much quicker than that, but then some have taken longer.... but then I know one guy who had a 40 foot Oram built, launched and ready to live on in one year, and just recently a 48C (and that's a BIG boat) was launched after only 11 months building, and with very little help too...

I think, if you built an Easy out of Duflex you could do it quicker than ply - you wouldn't need all the stringers on the frames, probably could have fewer bulkheads, fairing would be easier, because Duflex is of very uniform stiffness and bends into very fair curves, whereas ply can be quite awkward, especially when it's humid, with warping and mould. (Which is why you need all the stringers etc)

I never found de-coring and filling the edges to be that much hassle at all. I used a fair bit of ply in my furniture - most of the verticals are ply, (bendy ply is great for this)the horizontals are Duflex - because weight for weight duflex is MUCH stiffer than ply- 10mm duflex is stiffer than 6mm ply, at half the weight - and it's in the horizontal surfaces that you need the stiffness.

BUT you'd need to have the boat completely redesigned for the different material.

northerncat

Composite Easy?

Post by northerncat » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:16 am

easy's arent that much smaller than say a mango or schionning 11m but the time to build them would appear to be
sean

44c

Composite Easy?

Post by 44c » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:34 am

Based on what? AFAIK there are only 3 Mangoes, and one of them was built in around a year, the others were built part-time. Schionnings generally have a lot of curved surfaces, which add build time, and aren't really directly comparable to Easys, which don't have much in the way of curves.

And as stated before, an Oram 48C, which is a LOT bigger than an Easy, was just launched in 11 months. I expected it to be just bare hulls, but apparently that includes a fitout.

Also, different people work at different rates, and there can be different time pressures - the Oram 40 that was built in 12 months HAD to be built in 12 months - that's how long the shed was available. I built in my own backyard and could take as long as I liked. Sometimes boats get built quickly because the site is becoming unavailable - it's amazing what we can do if we HAVE to.

Trev

Composite Easy?

Post by Trev » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:45 am

Excuse my ignorance here but are the plans for the easy available in a digital format that allow for the components to be cnc'ed? because I reckon that is where the time saving is not the material.
Trev

Jim

Composite Easy?

Post by Jim » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:03 pm

If you want to build a glass boat then I would suggest you start with a set of glass boat plans. The Easy plans are very basic, thus the price, but there is over 100 of them on the water plus heaps under construction, so they are more than good enough to build a boat with, and Peter or Anne will tell you anything you are unclear of, just phone.
Build times are a bit like "how long is a bit of string?", and size does matter. I have a Privilege 43 in the marine berth beside my Easy 37 and it would have to have almost double the surface area and the thought of sanding/finishing a boat that big would turn me into a clock tower sniper, so that must be reflected in build times.
Not ALL of a ply boat needs glassing. Everything outside does, under the cabin sole and the bathroom. The rest is Epoxied and painted. Rule of thumb is if it gets wet or lots of sun, glass it.
Jim.

puremajek

Composite Easy?

Post by puremajek » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:17 pm

'Boat Plans designed by Peter Snell for amateur builders to build in plywood'
From entry page of the http://www.easycatamarans.com. Says it all I suppose.

Really like the idea though, except the increased cost.
James

mikeb

Composite Easy?

Post by mikeb » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:52 pm

Thanks everyone, lots of food for thought there.
I have plans for the Sarah design and while pricing the materials I got to wondering how much extra it might be to build in composite and what the pros & cons might be.
I certainly take on board the point that you should build a boat how the designer has designed it. Got some more thinking to do...
Thanks again for all your input. Mike

Smooth Cruiser

Composite Easy?

Post by Smooth Cruiser » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:46 pm

I think that an Easy with composite construction would have quite a few advantages.

I also think that an Easy with no backstays and a roachy main would have a lot of advantages.

I also think that an Easy with longer waterline length and no increase in hull width would perform quite a bit better.

I also think an Easy with daggerboards would point higher and perform better.

Trouble is by the time I built a composite boat with daggerboards, no backstays, longer waterline length and narrower hulls I really wouldn't have an Easy any more. In fact it sounds a bit like an Oram that I now have . . . .

As people before have said - honour the designers intentions when looking at a boat. If the designer is happy to talk to you about composite construction and you do it with their blessing then great, otherwise don't even think about it for that design. Peter Snell desinged Easy's to be built out of plywood and this was done for a reason - in keeping with the general design philosophy of the boat. The only person who can tell you what Peter thinks about a composite Easy is Peter, none of us can. And if he dosn't draw the desing then you don't have an Easy . . .

There are so many variables in boat design and construction, and every boat is a result of a certain combination of those variables. Fundamentally changing one of the key variables means you now have a different boat. Every boat is a compromise and it is a matter of finding the compromise that best suits your preferences and your needs. Good luck in your search for the best compromise for you!

mikeb

Composite Easy?

Post by mikeb » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:17 pm

Hi SC
Have you bought an Oram? Sounds like we need a new posting under Members Multies! I really like the look of the 48C and the 44C but I'm not sure if my budget will get to either of those.... :cry: