filleting/coving fillers

Topics pertaining to fibre glassing, finishing issues, concerns and tips, epoxies and epoxy problems/resolves
teamROAM

filleting/coving fillers

Post by teamROAM » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:32 pm

Hi

Question: What have people been using for their filler for filleting/coving?

Our gluing resin is West System and we have been using West System 411 microspheres as our filler for filleting/coving and rebating etc as per the kit we purchased. Was wondering if there were any other more cost effective options that I could consider using as we are basically structurally done and now onto furniture etc.

Mick

44c

Re: filleting/coving fillers

Post by 44c » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:36 pm

For coves and fillets I used a 50:50 mixture of Cabosil and Q-cels.

For fairing I used Q-cels, and Phenocet below the waterline. I've read you shouldn't use Q-cels below the waterline.

Finally

Post by Finally » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:54 pm

The overview that came with my kit suggests 1/3rd Cabosil and 2/3 Q-Cells for Filleting / Coving. Add more cabosil to reduce sagging.

For fairing it suggests 10% Cabosil & 90% Q-Cell. Once again, add more cabosil to reduce sagging but with less cabosil it's easier to sand.

The ratios are not critical and can be adjusted to suit your needs.

puremajek

Post by puremajek » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:08 pm

Q-cell as you have discussed, above and below waterline with no problems to date.
James

teamROAM

Post by teamROAM » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:54 pm

Gents

thanks. I have heaps of cabosil left and some q cell around from surfboard repair so Ill have a play.

cheers

pilotm2

Post by pilotm2 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:45 pm

G'day all. My first post. I Am building a Schionning Wilderness 1100 south of Perth WA.

I have had terrific results with 1 part cotton flox to 10 parts Q-cel (by volume). Cotton flox is just coarsely chopped cotton fibres and available through FGI (cheap as chips). I have found this mix behaves differently with different resin systems - related to the solvent content of the resin - and best results by far are with the Bote-Cote contractors resin (ie minimum solvent). Not so flash with the WEST or Bote-Cote Premium systems. For a higher density mix, increase the relative proportion of flox.

If you are familiar with the ATL Microspheres you will have no problems switching to this mix as behaviour/density is almost identical.

I have also experimented with the various Cabosil mixtures but nowhere near as good as the above in my opinion. I understand the only thing it is really good for is de-glossing paint, but I haven't tried this yet.

All of my internals are paper cored per the Schionning kit and all decoring/backfilling and filleting has been done with the mix described above. Gone through HEAPS of the stuff and it is WAY cheaper than ATL Microspheres. The Bote Cote contractors is nifty stuff too - (comparitively) cheap and most satisfactory!

I hope this may be of help to somebody.

rexd666
Site Admin

Post by rexd666 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:20 pm

Welcome Pilotm2 would love to see some build pics and hear more from you.

Mick,
If you want some stuff from FGI and cannot get out to them, I just worked out today that I drive past them to grab lunch a couple times a week. So no prob to drop it off in town for you, assuming you can check fillers in for the flight.

Steve

teamROAM

Post by teamROAM » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:24 am

pilotm2

Cheers for the tips. Sounds like an alternative plan. I have heaps of west system left so have commited my self in that direction resin wise.

Spoke to the ATL an they reckon that 411 is only the best when need to sand. 403 is way better for wet on wet coving/filleting. Apparently less volume to mix in and easier to apply. Can’t sand though. Anyone tried it? Guess 411 is the most versitile so thats why it is in the kits?

Steve

Sounds good. Should be no worries to hand carry as not on DG register I dont think. Might get a look from security on the x ray machine and a trip to the back room though… ill give ya a call.

Mick