Vacuum infusion question

Topics pertaining to fibre glassing, finishing issues, concerns and tips, epoxies and epoxy problems/resolves
Mick@itc

Vacuum infusion question

Post by Mick@itc » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:39 pm

Hi all
Been digging around info sources on vacuum infusion and noted that it was female molds that were being used. I wonder why there are no male molds in the videos? Anyone have any background info on this?
Thanks
Mick
Mick
If all you have is a hammer...everything is a nail!

Mick@itc

Re: Vacuum infusion question

Post by Mick@itc » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:33 am

Been in a bit of contact with a guy called Helmut and there does not seem to be any reason per se. In theory it should work the same. However one think I have noticed is that a lot of hulls are infused in two halves with the split down the middle of the hull. I found this interesting as I would have thought that the centre of the hull would be a high stress zone.

Mick
Mick
If all you have is a hammer...everything is a nail!

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:34 pm

I guess it would be a high stress area but it is also a point where a large, and very strong join can be made which ends up hidden everywhere, in our types of boats that is. In smaller boats, like ski boats the seam is only visible up under the for deck, the rest is covered by the floor.
Jim.

teamROAM

Post by teamROAM » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:13 am

As Jim said it is possible to make the join stronger than the surrounding material.

In answer to your first question (and I may have miss read this) but the reason for using female moulds is you want the nice smooth mould finish side on the outside of your hull/deck/furniture/car body part or whatever you are making typically.

Regards
Mick