Epxoy Advice - and more

Topics pertaining to fibre glassing, finishing issues, concerns and tips, epoxies and epoxy problems/resolves
sea_bee

Re: Epxoy Advice - and more

Post by sea_bee » Mon May 21, 2012 11:37 am

Finally wrote: The material is called Right Sheen or Right Sheen Polyester Tafetta.
David
I have read about using taffeta some time ago on another forum.

Someone was having problems using taffeta for peelply. While the material foundation is the same, it appears that some taffeta is manufactured with a filler or buffer (not sure of the exact terminology, but something to make the material feel stiffer than the fibres alone) that contains silicone. After a while, they had a huge patch of delamination where the taffeta peelply was used.

Given the potential problem that could occur, you would have to be careful about the supplier to ensure that it really is suitable.

Chris

Mick@itc

Post by Mick@itc » Mon May 21, 2012 6:51 pm

it would be good to clear this up...is a big call if there is a real potential for delam ...so lets get the facts out here...
mick
Mick
If all you have is a hammer...everything is a nail!

sea_bee

Post by sea_bee » Mon May 21, 2012 8:40 pm

Mick@itc wrote:...so lets get the facts out here...
mick
Before posting my last reply, I tried searching to locate that information that I had previously read... but with no success. It must have been more than a year ago that I read this.

I really don't want to be spreading false rumours if there is no truth about this, but it does seem quite plausible.

Years ago, I had a friend that worked in fashion, and was always critical of the cheap materials that were full of finisher. To the clothes buyer at the retail shop, clothes made from the cheap material appear the same as the quality one. The finisher soon wears and washes out and leaves a thinner material behind. Who knows what is in that finisher? Silicone is likely. If the material is used as peel ply, it seems more than possible that the filler will end up on the surface.

There is a balance between risk and cost. It seems to me that this risk is real, and it would need to be balanced against the savings of using taffeta material rather than using a product labelled as peelply.

The suggestion that I remember from that original forum post was this; buy a roll of real peelply from a reputable supplier, and then try to trace the manufacturer. Clearly, that won't always be possible.

Finally

Post by Finally » Mon May 21, 2012 8:57 pm

sea_bee wrote:Before posting my last reply, I tried searching to locate that information that I had previously read... but with no success.
Are you thinking about this discussion (from the last entry on this page)?

http://diy-yachts.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 3&start=20

David

cruiserbill

Post by cruiserbill » Mon May 21, 2012 9:09 pm

I think you have all scared me enough into using the real thing. I read somewhere that only rich folks can afford cheap stuff for their boats. Maybe this is true.

sea_bee

Post by sea_bee » Mon May 21, 2012 9:47 pm

Finally wrote: Are you thinking about this discussion (from the last entry on this page)?
http://diy-yachts.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 3&start=20

David
Don't think so.

But over at over at http://forum.woodenboat.com/archive/ind ... bae3943809 I have found something.
Peel-Ply - I'm in the fabric business. Those who scour the fabric stores for poor-man's Peel-Ply (cheap, light nylon or polyester that will do the job) should be aware that most of these are not "raw" fabrics. They have often been treated with various substances (fluorocarbons, silicones, sizings, etc.) to give them certain characteristics (water repellency, better UV life, more body, etc.) and make them more suitable for their original intended use (which ain't as Peel-Ply). It's certainly possible that using them on your boat and in contact with fresh epoxy might lay down a thin film of some sort of unwanted chemical. Nobody wants a thin film of silicone between the layers of their lamination, so choose wisely and if you find one that works, stick with it. Don't expect the folks at the store to know what might or might not be on it (they're usually pretty clueless) and don't expect it to say anything helpful on the end of the bolt other than just the basic fiber composition (and most likely "Made in China").
It was so long ago that I read it that I can't be sure this is what I found. Never the less, same info from what appears to be a reputable source.

It scared me at the time, and again now that I read it again.

That thread over on the other forum has some really good info on wetting down the glass.

comsa

Post by comsa » Wed May 23, 2012 3:02 am

Try this one out - http://www.airtechonline.com/Airtechsto ... oductID=12
It works very well.
-SP