build your own

Any topics on dinghies/tenders. Also the building of moorings, related topics, even free moorings.
northerncat

build your own

Post by northerncat » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:57 pm

free plans for an 8ft pram at http://www.bateau.com/free/freeplans.htm

it looks like this and looks quite simple to make here http://members.optusnet.com.au/~ingle.m/buildin2.html

northerncat

build your own

Post by northerncat » Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:08 am

well as an end of term project for my year seven class we have just built one of these dinghys, they look pretty good and boy are they quick to make, i reckon i could turn one out in just under a day finished, pretty cheap to as i reckon that all up it only costed 100$, i did change the plans slightly to make it out of 3mm ply as i had some left over an boy does it make it a light little boat, i reckon that it weighs all up about 16kilos but ill weigh it accurately later, the seat tops i made out of ten mil, it is pretty stiff and strong but ill give it a good test down at the river with the kids as they want to try and sink it and generally jump in and out of it so i reckon a few yr7s will give it a good strength test.

it has a few wobbly lines but i did let them do everything so that they could get the satisfactuion of the project, when we work out how to post photos ill post one or two

sean

northerncat

build your own

Post by northerncat » Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:01 am

the plans that i used for my class were the d4 ones, i reckon that i could buil;d one in under a day and for about 100-150$, it took my year 7's 4 afternoon sessions and 1.5 hrs each and 1 2 hr class session to build, while the lines are not the best it still looked good and better yet we gave it a good test we managed to squeeze 7 people into it and still had 100mm of freeboard with 3 people in the dinghy and water up to the seat level there was still 150mm of freeboard

sean

puremajek

build your own

Post by puremajek » Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:09 am

OK..I have to admit that this is very much so an alternative and yes, just may be you have won me over. For those who have not seen this completed (by Year 7's - mind you), take a look here:

http://easycat.50webs.com/easy_cruising_general_037.htm

By the way, it has an uncanny resemblance to the international Optomist class (Pommie design I think) that I used to race, but that’s another story. For those seeking stability and unsinkable qualities, the Optomists had the option for foam sections in the rear seat and fore section. With both my brother and I and the yacht filled to the brim with water, it did not sink.

Sean

1/ What is the transom like for rigidity (thinking about the motor size here).

2/ My concern is the floor rigidity too, knowing what I do about Optomists which are also 3mm panelling.
Last edited by puremajek on Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
James

northerncat

build your own

Post by northerncat » Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:15 am

come up and see well take you out on the river

sean

northerncat

build your own

Post by northerncat » Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:18 am

nah seriously i have thickened it up to about 12mm above the rear seat

the floor feels very stiff

sean

northerncat

build your own

Post by northerncat » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:36 am

i also like what mahna mahna is doing with his cat dinghy, anyone building should i think consider building one of these

sean

44c

build your own

Post by 44c » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:57 am

He built those 2 dinghies from scrap duflex. At this point I haven't got enough scrap left to build 1/2 of one. I hope he doesn't find he needs those "scraps" later. With Duflex at $300+ a sheet, they could turn out to be quite pricey dinghies.

They look very good though.

northerncat

build your own

Post by northerncat » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:59 am

im gonna hopefully try and make one out of ply as i have no duplex left :?

sean

northerncat

build your own

Post by northerncat » Mon May 12, 2008 5:45 am

well after dinghy 1 proved a lttle to little for a family trip for five to shore dinghy number two was made

with the 3.6 it just about planes so i amthinking of trying a 6 hp out so i can stay legally unregistered

sean