Licenses

Any topics on dinghies/tenders. Also the building of moorings, related topics, even free moorings.
terryk

Licenses

Post by terryk »

Hi all, I was reading Bushytales note about tenders and licenses and he mentions having a sail license. What do I need to sail my 37 in QLD. I have a NSW recreational license. I will use this to obtain a QLD recreational marine driver license. Do I need more?

Cheers

Terryk
Kelly-Louise

Licenses

Post by Kelly-Louise »

Hi All,

I recently gained my Qld Recreational Marine Drivers License, and as far as I am aware, that is all I need to "be in charge" of our 37.

We were discussing this the other night over dinner, and I understand that a Queensland license is for life (unless you do something silly and loose it!!!) but some other states you have to repeat the tests each year??

Anyways, I work in the same building as Queensland Transport, so I will get back to you if I discover different.
Smooth Cruiser

Licenses

Post by Smooth Cruiser »

As above - The NSW licence is directly transferable to a Qld licence, and then becomes valid for life instead of having to be renewed each year.
terryk

Licenses

Post by terryk »

You`ve all got it to easy!! :wink: NSW licenses are $25.00 per year but only the one test. I had better hurry up and finish the boat and migrate to the great north!!

Cheers

Terryk
Jim

Licenses

Post by Jim »

To Smooth Cruiser's Gal, if your boat is like my house I would have thought you would "be in charge", with or without a license.

Some years ago when I was in the Army, I did a 2 week full time coxswain course, this would equate to about 4 weeks in the normal world with the hours put in per day, but it doesn't count in the civy world. A mate of mine was a Leiutenant in the Navy and skippered small ships both here and all over the world, but in Australian waters he could not legally use one of the tenders off that ship. Go figure. See...Dept of Rules.

Jim.
Kelly-Louise

Licenses

Post by Kelly-Louise »

My Goodness no.....I suspect I would be told to walk the plank if i ever really tried to just "take charge!"

This link should answer any questions you have about Queensland Licencing laws etc......

http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Home/Licensing/Recreational/

It is all there......with links to a heap of other really helpful sites too.
terryk

Licenses

Post by terryk »

Thanks smooth cruisers gal, I have down loaded the qld license form. We will be in FNQ in oct. I will apply for a qld license before they change any laws!!! governments have a bad habit of making life harder just when you think your on top!!

Cheers

Terryk