Tenders

Any topics on dinghies/tenders. Also the building of moorings, related topics, even free moorings.
mahnamahna

Re: Tenders

Post by mahnamahna »

Wow Dazza, thats a pretty good effort just by eye. Is yours made of ply?

I dont have plans, what I do have is a set of templates (3mm mdf) that I cut when we made them. From those I made a couple of sets of plastic (black concreters or gardening plastic sheet) and posted them to people. Not sure where they are now, (I think Stefan in WA has a set and Sean in Eagles Nest had a set but was posting them to someone else, you should all see the job Sean did, even strip planked round sides, beautiful job). Happy to make another set if you like. I have been hoping someone could make a 3D computer render on cad for me so I can email it to people, I even bought a cheap cad program but alas, way to difficult for me.
dazza

Post by dazza »

Hi Paul

4mm ply,3x 9mm ply bulkheads with 2 extra layers on transom and forward bulkhead.

Covered with 6 oz glass and epoxy . To be honest it was just a bit of fun to learn boat

building skills and spray painting,the photos dont show the runs on other side. Never

did see the finished product of yours, maybe some photos.

Daren
mahnamahna

Post by mahnamahna »

I am actually very happy with mine, but very impressed by everyone elses efforts. I still have some hinges for the 3 doors I have one in each hull and one in the front for an anchor and other fittings (rowlocks, outboard plates, eyelets, anchor cleat) to fit before it is finished.

I hadnt noticed before but isnt it funny how the eye can be deceived. If you look at the first pic of the waist line chine, at the sharks gills, it looks like I have a fairing issue, but it isnt there when looking at the second pic, will have to go and check if it is actually there.

I built my transom for a long shaft motor but I may change that. I also built a mast post tube into mine to take a windsurfer mast, just for the fun of it, havent tried it yet but am hoping it will also sail (havent figured out a rudder method yet, thinking I might be able to clamp something to the outboard and use it as the tiller).

I have rubber noses on mine in case I "bump" into things. I really like your handles so may also build some onto mine, that side deck can get slippery when wet, in fact I would put non slip on it if you intend to sit there when motoring, I prefer to be directly in front of the outboard so I put a removable seat in, its just some 25mm duflex.

I am half way through building another in 4mm ply. I still used 25mm duflex for the bulkheads. Its actually my stepson Jake that is building it with my help. I thought it would end up lighter than mine but I dont have glass over it yet (or bog) and it already seems heavier.
dazza

Post by dazza »

Hi Paul

Your dinghy looks great,i made the handles from bent electrical conduit and pulled

enough wetted uni thru to fill it ,then wrapped it thru the bulkheads. Do you know how

much

yours weights, be interesting to see if the duflex is much lighter.

Daren
Attachments
rt1100rt 009.JPG
rt1100rt 009.JPG (26.32 KiB) Viewed 7109 times
2010 boatshow 011.JPG
2010 boatshow 011.JPG (30.21 KiB) Viewed 7109 times