Painting Hi Gloss with a brush.

The ugly bits of building
Jim

Painting Hi Gloss with a brush.

Post by Jim » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:15 pm

Hi all, I have had to do some repairs to the upper sides, above and below the windows, on the Leslie James (Easy 37). The original paint, Imperite 300, because after nearly 7 years it started to get some tiny blisters and cracks in it. As I was unable to spray in the marina, a wooden boat builder in the marina put me onto a brush paint system, and helped me with it. The paint is International Perfection, primer and topcoat. Both are 2 pack, primer 3 to 1 and topcoat 2 to 1.
I sanded the area to be painted with 280 and gave it 2 coats of primer/undercoat with a foam roller, sanding after each coat with 320. The finish coat was mixed and 25% Awlgrip Brushing Reducer was added. The reducer is very important if you are to get a good finish. My first attempt I used International Brushing Reducer No.6, which is the recommended one from Inter. and the result was crappy, not what I was after, so it was cut back again with 320. The wooden boat bloke said he always uses Awlgrip, so we did and the difference was amazing. It is applied with a foam roller, not too thick, quite thin actually, and tipped off with criss cross diagonal light strokes with a 65mm Uni-Pro brush. Use the brush (Bunnings) once and throw it out, or clean and keep for something else. The finish is quite amazing and while it is not quite as good as a good spray job, it is much better than a mid to bad spray job. There is no brush marks and a very high gloss. He showed me some of the other work he has done in the marina and unless someone told you otherwise you would think it was sprayed.
If you want to spend the extra money, Awlgrip have their own product which is apparently better than the International, but at a price. The International was about $100 per litre from Whitworths.
Just thought this might come in handy for someone.
Cheers,
Jim.

mikeb

Re: Painting Hi Gloss with a brush.

Post by mikeb » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:54 am

Thanks Jim, handy to know. I'm sure a few of us can put that to use. Mike

teamROAM

Post by teamROAM » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:26 pm

Hi Jim

How did the color match with the Imperrite 300. Is yours "special white"?

Cheers
Mick

martica

Post by martica » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:20 pm

Hi Jim I used altex elite 321 today for first time in cabin and I'm impressed thinking about doing the hold boat in it

Cheers mick

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:15 am

Hi Mick, I can't really pick a difference in the colours. I will get back to you with the colour.
Jim.

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:07 pm

Hi Mick, the colour is Snow White.
Jim.