Decks - non-slip painting

The ugly bits of building
puremajek

Post by puremajek » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:18 am

I am in the market for a non-slip deck paint that can be used in the obvious areas and also other spots including the lower bridge-deck surface. The type of material additive preferred is something that can be easily sanded back (this may preclude some of the rubber type additives) and repainted. I suppose another consideration should also include the ‘tenderness of the ankle-biters soles’ placing the coarser type deck paints in the sand-paper bracket.

I have tried the additive that Hempel sell and find that the texture/grain was too small (looked like sand) and the grain did not coat evenly. Also, it did not take kindly to cleaning after my muddy fingers were rubbed against it as a test, leaving a grey dirty look once cleaned. One positive was that it was very easy to sand back.

I have not yet found a textured (as opposed to the grainy-sand type) non-slip that is suitable. Are there any around? Has anyone used a textured roller with Wattyl high-build undercoat? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
James

Smooth Cruiser

Post by Smooth Cruiser » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:36 pm

The "anklebiters" soles will toughen up pretty quickly! 8)

My deck paint has poly beads in it - I think it's quite good.

malallo

Post by malallo » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:28 am

one of the boat builders I know masks of the relevent areas and paints them with long nap roller and two pack topcoat mixed with micro baloons this leaves a sort of rough surface but easy to clean.

SW

richam50

Post by richam50 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:50 am

puremajek wrote:I am in the market for a non-slip deck paint that can be used in the obvious areas and also other spots including the lower bridge-deck surface. The type of material additive preferred is something that can be easily sanded back (this may preclude some of the rubber type additives) and repainted. I suppose another consideration should also include the ‘tenderness of the ankle-biters soles’ placing the coarser type deck paints in the sand-paper bracket.

I have tried the additive that Hempel sell and find that the texture/grain was too small (looked like sand) and the grain did not coat evenly. Also, it did not take kindly to cleaning after my muddy fingers were rubbed against it as a test, leaving a grey dirty look once cleaned. One positive was that it was very easy to sand back.

I have not yet found a textured (as opposed to the grainy-sand type) non-slip that is suitable. Are there any around? Has anyone used a textured roller with Wattyl high-build undercoat? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

James,

The non-skid I used is a non skid bought at a local chemical & paint shop.
How it was applied was to roll the paint on and then using a air gun with a 2.6 tip (I think) blow the beads into the paint. It came out beautifully or so I think. Have a look when you come up to Mackay.

Richard

mahnamahna

Re: Decks - non-slip painting

Post by mahnamahna » Wed May 04, 2016 4:30 pm

Almost finished fairing, depending on what standard I settle on. Areas under non slip will be to a lesser standard than areas that end up glossy. The curved D section will need non slip including the hatch lids.

It is usual practice to mask say, 30mm around deck hatches and on the lid leaving gloss under the mask and non slip everywhere else.

My question is this, is there any mechanical or structural reason or is it purely cosmetic why I couldnt run the non slip all the way to the edges of the hatches?

kjay

Post by kjay » Wed May 04, 2016 4:53 pm

Paul,
I can only think of cosmetic reasons, maybe water could pool against the hatch edges in the stipple finish, overspray? Anyone else?

John

mahnamahna

Post by mahnamahna » Wed May 04, 2016 5:03 pm

Thanks John, I know I still have to mask for hinges but other than that not sure why it would be a problem

Matt L.

Post by Matt L. » Wed May 04, 2016 9:12 pm

I like the full nonskid look. I like the masked edge details too. You can roll nonskid over joins or edges without much or any masking, which I did on my bilge hatches. But still need to mask for spraying non skid. Mask to where? Leave the very edge/hard corner unmasked and spray non skid over the tip? I worry about the longevity, scrapping the edges? easy to mask on the deck with 25mm tape or 10 if that's your flavour...easy to follow edge lines parallel, corners and curves can be a trick. Have to gloss spray your edges first but usually have to gloss something at that stage? Non skid spheres in 2k paint was definetly a challenge.
Products like Don't slip or Kiwi Grip are more user friendly.
Did I address the question? Not sure.
Feel free to season my comments with IMO's and IMHO's to taste. ;)

44c

Post by 44c » Mon May 09, 2016 7:26 am

I found breaking the areas up into manageable bits made life easier. I did the cockpit in one big section and it was tricky, running out of places to stand. It probably depends on the product used. I needed to sprinkle glass beads on to wet paint for mine, so big areas were difficult.

Also, breaking the deck into smaller sections makes touch-up much easier later on. I'm currently helping a guy with some work on a Schionning which has the entire decks painted in one piece. (Although hatches are "framed" in gloss) The touch-ups on 9 year old decks are impossible to disguise.

If the non skid is carried right to the edge of hatches, it will form a sharp, and potentially dangerous jagged edge when the hatch Is open.

Just my view, which is almost certainly wrong....