utrasonic antifoul

The ugly bits of building
mahnamahna

Re: utrasonic antifoul

Post by mahnamahna » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:26 pm

Did I read it correctly 28.8ah per day draw for the 4 transducer kit? Seems awfully high for something that is basically just creating a noise that deters growth. Is 29ah in a 24 hour period an acceptable loss? If you have 280ah lead acid bank it is effectively 20% of your daily usable capacity gone.

And if anyone does go ahead I see the price for 6 is $250 cheaper so perhaps get a buying group together. I am somewhat interested, it would be great to hear of someone that has one in day to day use. But timing is awful, am just about to buy my battery bank through Whimsical, and also just about to buy my outboards. So money is super tight right now, but please let me know if anyone is putting a buy group together and if I can stretch to it at the time I will let you know.

Cheers, Paul.

Edit,

interesting review on another brand but I am sure the tech is the same, they state the unit must run 15 hours a day at .7ah so 10ah a day although they state that usage is closer to 16ah a day. And it can be problematic if you leave the boat for reasonable periods.

http://content.yudu.com/A1qwi5/Ultrason ... %26templat

And it does not completely negate the need for antifoul or hauling out to clean, although thats for a mono, and having a much smaller draft cleaning in the water is very much an option for multi's.

One other concern for the duflex boat builders (balsa core) or even the foam core builders, is that you will most likely need to remove the inside skin and core, backfill the hole, most likely with solid glass so you have a solid substrate for the vibrations to transmit to the outer skin, without doing this, your core will most probably absorb the vibrations or at the very least change the frequency and may render the apparatus useless.

There is a thread on the cruisers forum that is pretty negative about them but 2 things about that, the thread is from 2008 and a lot of scepticism is normal in the early days of any new tech, but also there are a lot of couch admirals in that forum so I wouldnt take much notice of the most vociferous posters on there.

44c

Post by 44c » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:47 pm

Say 30 amp/hours per day. On a solar powered boat, it's not too much when it's sunny, but no good when it's cloudy.

I'd say these systems (if they work) would mostly suit boats that live in marinas, plugged in to shore power 5 days a week and only come out on weekends. I did see an article in a cruising helmsman where a boat had an ultrasonic system fitted, and it simply didn't work. The amount of growth on that boat was incredible.

Smooth Cruiser

Post by Smooth Cruiser » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:08 pm

I'm not sure if I'm a couch admiral - but I would be very sceptical about the effectiveness of something like this - if it worked it would be extensively used in industrial applications (sluice gates / pump suction enclosures etc where growth is a major issue) and I can't find much evidence of industrial use.

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:05 pm

I would say if it worked you would see it on ships. Just try to imagine how much they spend on slipping and antifoul.
Jim.

puremajek

Post by puremajek » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:40 pm

There was some good meat on this 2 years back on this Forum. It appears that the 'ultrasonic age' re-appears every 5 years or so and I am yet to see and effective unit (especially with the data that 44C mentioned in a few posts earlier). Some still recommend an anti foul with their units installed :?: :?: :?:
James