Christmas Upgrades

Want to upload a photo? Got a question about using the forum? Want to set up a build thread? Look here for tips and assistance
admin
Site Admin

Christmas Upgrades

Post by admin »

Hi all,
Just giving you some warning that I will be doing some upgrades over the Christmas break to the site. Mostly just keeping it updated, but I may find some new features to add along the way. I may have a look at some look and feel also if I get bored, but if I do that I will try to put it in as a optional theme for people to try.

Any issues I can be contacted at admin email address.

Today I also purged the database of users that have not logged in for a year, so the member count has come down. I sent a reminder email as part of the site move, but still had a number of inactive accounts. If you had an old unused account you may have received a deletion email, nothing personal just normal cleanup.
Regards
Steve
kjay

Re: Christmas Upgrades

Post by kjay »

Steve,
Is there any possibility of resurrecting the photos from the original forum into this one or are they gone forever?
Thanks
John
mahnamahna

Post by mahnamahna »

Hi, I have a small suggestion. When a link to a thread is in the most recent list but there are multiple pages, the link takes you to the start of the thread, rather than the last post in the thread which would be more efficient and where most people using the latest post list would want to go directly. Not earth shattering but just a thought.

Cheers, and compliments of the season.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

John,
Got an example thread for me? The old forum didn't allow images to be posted to the server itself so most people had to use tinypics or other image hosting service and use links to them. So most of the time when we are missing images it is that external hosting that has disappeared or gone offline due to owner not maintaining it. I may have to update the image posting guidelines as I believe we can post onto the server now and prevent loss of images in the future. I will see if I can do anything to archive those that are still working.

MahnaMahna,
Yes I know exactly what you mean here, it is an off the shelf component. It lists each post by each person, but then links to the thread, if should go to the posts themselves. I will experiment offline a bit and see if I can solve it with config, or will roll my own component.

Anyone else got any niggles that they want me to check out, ie Search Forum is AWOL.

Steve
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

mahnamahna wrote:Hi, I have a small suggestion. When a link to a thread is in the most recent list but there are multiple pages, the link takes you to the start of the thread, rather than the last post in the thread which would be more efficient and where most people using the latest post list would want to go directly. Not earth shattering but just a thought.

Cheers, and compliments of the season.
Fixed!!

Assume you are aware yikes.com.au is offline, just went to catch up on build progress.
kjay

Post by kjay »

Steve, thanks for the explaination with regards to the external hosts.
John
mahnamahna

Post by mahnamahna »

Yes we were a bit late paying the bill and now they are a bit slow getting the page back up. Annoying. Only reason we keep using them is we dont know how to move a wordpress blog, $100 a year is a bit much for hosting when my old mahnamahna site was hosted for $1 a month!! It was a hosting site that I used an ftp client software to upload to and could up or download anytime, but it took me so long to create the site each update that I couldnt sustain it. Should be back up in a few days. Sorry about that.
rexd666
Site Admin

Post by rexd666 »

PM or email me at the admin@ this site once you get it back online and I will help you out to take a backup. Not sure if you can cancel the plan once you are into it, I managed this with one of my hosts and cost me $20 but I was in for about $140 refund so was worthwhile.

You can host it at wordpress.com with your own domain name for less than that, $12 to add your domain to free blog, at $100 you will be getting a full hosting platform. We might even be able to add it on our plan, I would need to check the cost for an extra domain and confirm it will work like I think. We are ad supported these days so thanks for those of you visiting the advertisers.

The other thing I can help you out with if you would like is migrating the old build logs from the html version into Wordpress. Figure it is the least I can do in return for many hours of good reading on your build.
Steve