Gas Instant Hot Water System

The watery and smelly sides of life.
Finally

Gas Instant Hot Water System

Post by Finally » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:30 pm

I was just speaking to a Gasfitter who tells me that under the latest 2010 code, he is no longer allowed to fit instantaneous gas hot water systems to boats.

I haven't read the code and took him at his word.

David

Finally

Re: Gas Instant Hot Water System

Post by Finally » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:58 pm

Since I posted this I contacted the Plumbers and Gasfitters Assoc in Qld as something just didn't ring true to me.

According to AS/NZS 5601.2 2010 Clause 2.9.1 (for those interested) the only type of LPG fueled water heater that complies with the standard for installation in boats (and caravans) are room sealed water heaters.

So, I stand corrected. There is still a way of getting an LPG fueled water heater in the boat - just have to find the right product.

puremajek

Post by puremajek » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:12 pm

There would be an outcry given that 90% of yachts and some caravans (with gas hot water), have them. May be with new installations. Suggest you watch the imported yachts at boat shows, when they change, we know we have a problem as they can't sell them non-certified.
James

44c

Post by 44c » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:53 am

We have one of these: http://www.caravanrvparts.com.au/dometi ... orhome-rv/

It's a 14 litre storage hot water system. I wasn't keen on an instant HWS because then I'd need to leave the gas solenoid energised all day. It draws about 2 amps.

With the 14 litre storage system we switch it on when we want to have a shower, it heats up fast, about 10 minutes or less, and there's enough hot water to do the dishes as well. Gas use is amazingly frugal - we cook on gas and have gas hot water, and a 9kg bottle lasts us close to 3 months.

I think part of the reason we use so little gas is because the solenoid valve is shut 90% of the time, as I'm sure most appliances leak a little.

It's also nice to have the electric element in the tank for when you're in a marina. Use shore power for hot water.

Finally

Post by Finally » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:58 pm

44C

Thanks very much for the excellent information.

Seems like you are very happy with the set up and sounds like the best way to go.

David

DA

Post by DA » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:05 pm

August 2011 had a Bosch internal compact indoor instantaneous gas hot water system installed and certified , is the only one that meets the codes in QLD and aus.
Have had no issues .

44c

Post by 44c » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:10 pm

Finally wrote:44C

Thanks very much for the excellent information.

Seems like you are very happy with the set up and sounds like the best way to go.

David
Don't know about the BEST, but it works for us.

puremajek

Post by puremajek » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:34 am

If you have a choice, save your gas and not use 'instant units'. There are other 'storage-type units' that can be fitted externally (ie not within the hulls or saloon) and are more gas efficient than the Bosch :o
James

martica

Post by martica » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:51 pm

Hi all picked my storage hot water system up yesterday I was going to use a 12 volt one but was on friends boat and was quite happy with the way it worked

Cheers mick

Finally

Post by Finally » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:59 pm

martica wrote:Hi all picked my storage hot water system up yesterday I was going to use a 12 volt one but was on friends boat and was quite happy with the way it worked

Cheers mick
Mick
Can you reveal what you got?
David