Desalinator [moved from MV Catapult build]

The watery and smelly sides of life.
groper

Re: Desalinator [moved from MV Catapult build]

Post by groper » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:32 pm

you just missed out gerald - weve already ordered the gear from the USA - sorry mate. Theres a guy on the gold coast called HYDROPURE - email him and ask for what you need - he was cheapest in australia that i found but still couldnt match the US prices even after freight, excahnge @ 0.7 and GST etc... i really feel dissappointed in where our country has gone economically - what i joke when we can order all this gear and pay massive freight costs and still be cheaper than anyone else in OZ...

If you want a quote from the USA - they probably wont work out much cheaper as the freight for only 1 set would probably eat up the cost difference... you can try tho - we used foreverpure - try an email if you like? remember to add in the currency conversion costs and fees when you total it all up - however you might be in front as there wont be any GST payable under $1000...

groper

Post by groper » Sun May 01, 2016 5:01 pm

Well the DIY watermaker seems to be a success, works better than i expected :) Both Mick from ROAM and I have both got our systems up and running as per the design weve hashed out on here. Dave still needs to get his boat in the water to test his! :P

Im getting 72 litres per hour with the VSD running at 34hz and water temp of 27degrees @ 800psi. It can be ramped upto 60hz if we want and the total flow rate through the CAT pump is almost doubled from ~3L per minute upto ~6litres per minute. The product water flow will not double, only the total flow, so the recovery rate is not as favourable but it will increase somewhat - how much we dont know yet. Running at this speed (34hz) uses 50amps @ 12V. Of course we can slow it down aswell, probably down to around 20-25hz for an optimal energy efficiency standpoint. How much power this uses i also dont know yet, but it should be proportional to the flow, so 1/3 slower should use 1/3 less energy, or around 34 amps give or take.

a few pics -

Tucked it into the forward closet area...

The VSD and line reactor which drives the little 0.75kW 3phase motor/ CATpump.

cruiserbill

Post by cruiserbill » Sun May 01, 2016 9:19 pm

I have been looking at this brand: http://www.echotecwatermakers.com

I also came across this a long time ago: https://sites.google.com/site/llichtveld/newpage

teamROAM

Post by teamROAM » Fri May 06, 2016 1:45 pm

Big Thanks Nick!! Legend!!

Our system is working great. Really quiet too!

We are back out on the water. Currently at Eddystone point making some H2O.

Our set up pic here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEzvufVpevk/

Tight reach up the coast from St. Helens this morning using that staysail that David called a hanky... Doing 8-12 knots in 30-35 true wind speed with staysail and 3 reefs. So much more under control than getting the Genoa out and more balanced than than sailing bare headed.

See you all out there
Yew

Mick

teamROAM

Post by teamROAM » Fri May 06, 2016 1:47 pm

Bill

This set up ended up about 4k cheaper than an echo tech comparable unit approx exchange rate where it is etc.

Comparable cost to the H2Oonthego units

Mick

cruiserbill

Post by cruiserbill » Fri May 06, 2016 6:01 pm

Top job Mick, thanks.

groper

Post by groper » Tue May 24, 2016 5:50 am

Glad its working well for ya mick :)

Keep us updated on the water production when you get to know it a little better - would be interested in the production numbers in your colder waters down there... also interested in approx what speed your usually running it - seems most of the production units are running much lower flow rates than what our pumps are capable of @ 60hz max. Most production units that are producing around the 40L hour range are probably running an equivalent speed for our system of around 25hz... I did that deliberately so the slow pump speed would be nice and quiet with better longevity.

Good luck on your trip mate - were mostly packed and weather looks perfect to head off to PNG and the Louisiades this Friday, YEW as you say :mrgreen: :mrgreen: