Drinking water tanks?

The watery and smelly sides of life.
mahnamahna

Drinking water tanks?

Post by mahnamahna » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:56 am

Hi Guys,

I am currently tossing up whether to buy plastic (rigid) water tanks or make my own, probably from ply. I want 2 or 3 200 litre but to buy they are about $450 each. A while ago one of you kind builders had pics of a watertank you had made posted on this forum but I have searched hi and lo and cant find them. I dont need particularly need to see the pics again although it certainly cant hurt, but I would like to get an idea from anyone that made their own, what did you line them with (I have been told International paint EN48 is a potable water epoxy paint but I cant find any specs or info on the net about it. What did you use, did it result in a clean tasting water supply, would you do it again etc. All help greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Paul

Smooth Cruiser

Drinking water tanks?

Post by Smooth Cruiser » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:50 am

The pics were posted by Jim in this thread:

http://www.hostmybb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... =easy#2743

He also describes the coating.

My tanks are stainless.

44c

Drinking water tanks?

Post by 44c » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:56 am

I got plastic ones made by atlas tanks. http://www.atlastanks.com.au/

You're right, they don't exactly give them away, but they do seem very well made. Fortunately the stock sizes were suitable for me.

I like the idea of water tanks being there between the cabins a lot better than fuel tanks.

Taniwha

Drinking water tanks?

Post by Taniwha » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:16 pm

Making your own tanks appeals to me too, but at the minute I'm a bit scared off as I heard that the epoxy always has a slight excess of hardener which leaches out into your water. Not a good idea unless you like carcinogens. I would want to know for sure that any coating would not be releasing things. Let us know if you find out more Paul.

Jim

Drinking water tanks?

Post by Jim » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:25 am

Hi Taniwha, to make your own tanks they have to be lined with something that will not have any effect on the water so I used food grade flow coat and this product will not stick to Epoxy, so Polyester Resin must be used inside the tank to wet the glass out. The flow coat I used was white so it is very easy to see any little pin holes and cover them. While the water in the bathrom sink has a bit of a smell and taste to it the gally sink does not because I have a carbon filter in that line for drinking water. I would expect all taste and smell to dissapear after a few tank refills, just like a new fiberglass boat looses it's resin smell after a while.

Jim.

Taniwha

Drinking water tanks?

Post by Taniwha » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:30 am

Jim, thanks for the info. Where do you get food grade flow coat from? Presumably not the usual marine suppliers.

Paul

madaz

Drinking water tanks?

Post by madaz » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:43 am

Any fibre glass supplier should have some Paul our local fibreglass shop here sells it.

Jim

Drinking water tanks?

Post by Jim » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:18 am

Like what Madaz said, any glass shop. You have to get Flowcoat, not Gelcoat. Gelcoat must be deprived of oxygen to go off. It is the first layer sprayed into a mould, followed by resin, glass and then lastly flowcoat which is the layer on the inside of a f/g boat, very tough and covers the dagy f/g look. I think flowcoat is gelcoat with a wax mixed into it to make it harden but I wouldn't bet on that.

Jim.