Raritan Electro Scan Waste Treatment Systems

The watery and smelly sides of life.
Future

Post by Future » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:09 am

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of the Raritan Electro-Scan Waste Treatment System? http://www.raritaneng.com/products/wast ... roscan.htm

Do they comply with the Australian Waste Discharge Regulations? From what I have read they comply in New Zealand.

Reasoning for looking into a treatment system – we will be a live aboard yacht with two young children – about 5 and 7 when we move on board. My parents live aboard their boat and fill a 60 litre holding tank in 3 days. Pump out facilities are almost non existent in NZ which means that you have to leave harbour get to the required distance to empty the tanks every couple of days.

I know that the electro scan are power hungry but we are planning on at least 400amp hours for the house batteries, at least 2 - 80amp solar panels and a wind generator.

Any thoughts or comments?

mahnamahna

Post by mahnamahna » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:08 am

I spoke to these guys at last years SCBS (at least I think it was these guys, I didnt take a brochure because of the information that follows), and the guy on the stand told me that there are 2 levels of restriction in QLD (so I assume the rest of the country will follow if not already there), there are restricted discharge areas where you can discharge the contents of treated systems such as this but not raw effluent. But there are also many nill discharge areas meaning that even though the contents of discharge of such units can theoretically be consumed, you are still not allowed to discharge it.

Marine Parks, marinas, etc fall into this latter catagory. They (the makers) were lobbying to have the laws changed so that you could discharge the contents of one of these units, but try using logic with a govt. department! So unless I totally misunderstood what he was telling me, I really cant see the point of treating the water if you cant discharge it anyway, except that perhaps you wont have venting/smell issues with your holding tank.

Can anyone corroborate my take on it?

puremajek

Post by puremajek » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:06 am

Mahnamahna

Just been through the same battle up here, they are all lobbying to have ‘their units approved’. From memory, the bunch at Sani Loo have water that is cleaner going out than that going into the Loo. We have chosen to sit tight for a year or too until the poo-powers make a call.

We have the power/space and bits ready to go...and wait in anticipation.
James

madaz

Post by madaz » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:10 am

I am doing as the latest Cruising Helmsman article mentioned, and just having a holding tank, which can either be used or bypassed (direct poo injection) We dont seem to have the bureaucracy of our northern states but at some stage one would hope that all states would fall in line and have something that was common sense, however that would be a tall order for most goverment departments :roll:

I notice a story recently in the news re the Victorian fires, how one council pursued some residents in court costing them $100,000 in fees and fines to convict them for cutting trees on their own land down, so they had a defendable space around their rate generating residence.

Now they have the only house left standing in the area. But it cost them a great deal of stress and money and the stupid ignorant government fools will probably still learn nothing from it.

44c

Post by 44c » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:26 pm

The Lectra-san chlorinates the waste by making chlorine from sea water. This uses a lot of power, and from what I've heard, reliability can be poor.

Have a look at the Sani-loo system - it chlorinates the waste by injecting liquid chlorine, which you add occasionally. A simpler, less power hungry system.

Can't find a website for sani-loo, but this place sells them. http://www.boatbits.com.au/shop/sani-loo.

mahnamahna

Post by mahnamahna » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:35 pm

44c wrote:The Lectra-san chlorinates the waste by making chlorine from sea water. This uses a lot of power, and from what I've heard, reliability can be poor.

Have a look at the Sani-loo system - it chlorinates the waste by injecting liquid chlorine, which you add occasionally. A simpler, less power hungry system.

Can't find a website for sani-loo, but this place sells them. http://www.boatbits.com.au/shop/sani-loo.

It still ends up being a way to clean the waste you end up having to hold in your tank if the authorities don't let you to discharge it in any area. I cant see the point of the additional expense, wiring, space etc if you cant do away with the need to hold and pump out.

Future

Post by Future » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:44 am

Here is the website for the Sani-loo http://www.sani-loo.com.au. Thanks for the information I will continue to investigate.

As I have already mentioned the Electroscan does comply in New Zealand and I am trying to get away from having a huge holding tank. As a side note I know of a number of problems that can happen with holding tanks - so all systems have positives and possible negatives.

Thanks for the information :D :D
Last edited by Future on Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

terryk

Post by terryk » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:37 pm

Hi builders, there is another company selling a sea water converter for marine sanitation,the Sani-Tank http://www.envirotreatmentsystems.com.au/

These systems CANNOT be used in a fresh water river system :!: :!:

but for those interested, their 65 litre unit draws 1.3A @ 12v total weight when full 75kg and 400mm dia.x 600mm long excluding mounting feet. These systems also have an extremely involved instruction manual, down loadable from their website. For me I think I will go with a Sani-Loo, the largest possible holding tank, discharge pump and a Y valve. These can all be serviced separately if needed.

Cheers

terryk