What's wrong with this idea?

The watery and smelly sides of life.
44c

Post by 44c » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:45 pm

I'm thinking of connecting my bathroom sink drain to the same skin fitting as the toilet inlet.

This will mean one less hole in the boat per bathroom, and also allow me to fresh water flush the toilet if I'm leaving the boat for a while, which will reduce smells. I can just shut the seacock, fill the sink and flush the toilet with the sink water.

Also makes it possible to pump greywater into the holding tank.

I cant think of a reason not to do this. Anyone else?

Syhlif32

Post by Syhlif32 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:29 pm

You might suck air into the toilet from the sink unless you pump very slowly!

Bjarne

44c

Post by 44c » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:14 pm

Yeah, I had thought about that, but putting in the plug would solve it if it happens.

judy

Post by judy » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:02 am

What are you doing with your shower sump water? Could you just allow the sink waste to gravity-feed into the shower sump, and deal with it from there?

puremajek

Post by puremajek » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:04 am

44C

Love the idea and wish I had done something similar.

To remove 'old salt-water smell' from standing saltwater in the toilet, we now close the saltwater valve and place a bucket of fresh water in the last flush. It would have been a lot easier to just follow an idea like yours.

We have also found that the saltwater filter builds up a 'blackish' look after a week of non use (stinks too), would have been great to have a flush system prior to the filter too.

The more I think about your suggestion the more I like it. Judy's idea has merit too.
James

44c

Post by 44c » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:32 am

judy wrote:What are you doing with your shower sump water? Could you just allow the sink waste to gravity-feed into the shower sump, and deal with it from there?

LOL, I'm going to do the exact reverse! I'll pump the shower sump water into the sink drain line, and from there out the toilet inlet.

My reasoning is that I'll only have to run the pump after using the shower, whereas if I drained the sink into the shower recess, I'd have to pump after just brushing teeth or similar.

Doing this also gives me the option of pumping the grey water from both the sink and shower to the holding tank.

44c

Post by 44c » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:36 am

puremajek wrote:44C
Love the idea and wish I had done something similar.

To remove 'old salt-water smell' from standing saltwater in the toilet, we now close the saltwater valve and place a bucket of fresh water in the last flush. It would have been a lot easier to just follow an idea like yours.

We have also found that the saltwater filter builds up a 'blackish' look after a week of non use (stinks too), would have been great to have a flush system prior to the filter too.

The more I think about your suggestion the more I like it. Judy's idea has merit too.

Do you filter the seawater for toilet flushing?

puremajek

Post by puremajek » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:00 am

Yes...however, my inlet divides into two after the filter, one to the toilet and the second to the deckwash. I did this to reduce inlets and have a single valve.
James

44c

Post by 44c » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:35 pm

I've never thought of doing that. Filtering the toilet flushwater I mean. I guess in really dirty water it could prolong the life of the seals. I always figured toilets were pretty tough anyway, given the crap they have to deal with...

44c

Post by 44c » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:40 pm

judy wrote:What are you doing with your shower sump water? Could you just allow the sink waste to gravity-feed into the shower sump, and deal with it from there?

I should clarify, I'm not actually going to have a shower sump. The shower floor is basically the bottom of the boat (headroom reasons) so I can't drain it to a lower point. The plan is to pump from the lowest point in the shower recess. It won't be an automatic pump, it will be operated by pressing a button. (although I may have a float switch set higher in case of a plumbing failure.)