What's wrong with this idea?

The watery and smelly sides of life.
44c

Post by 44c » Tue May 05, 2009 8:14 pm

northerncat wrote:its electric, when you flush you just get a giant whirlpool like in a bath and the thing justsucks air down an on off approach seems to empty it evetnually
sean

So it might not be blocked, it's just sucking air instead of water, due to the whirlpool effect.

You might just have to get used to going "on-off, on-off" to get it empty.

Would something like CLR shift any calcium build up?

Taniwha

Post by Taniwha » Sun May 10, 2009 7:13 pm

No need for an inlet strainer - the toilet will have to be able to cope with all sorts of ummm stuff. A little weed isn't going to hurt it.

Just been reading Nigel Calders book...he suggests a strainer to stop eel grass getting in and getting stuck under the rim and stinking. Alternatively perhaps we should just not sail over lawns and football pitches.

Smooth Cruiser

Post by Smooth Cruiser » Sun May 10, 2009 9:57 pm

There can't be much eel grass on the east coast - I've nevcer had this problem . . . although I did have a flatmate at uni who stashed grass in the toilet . . .

puremajek

Post by puremajek » Mon May 11, 2009 8:12 am

OK...I'll help you out here with the strainer. :D We only have one seacock for the toilet AND Deckwash, the deckwash being the main strainer reason.

Just cleaned the filter and found a piece if hardwood, not mine either. We have decided to remove this filter and replace it with a 'freshwater inlet - T', one of those non-return ones. In the seacock inlet was a happily growing piece of shrubby seaweed and plenty of the dreaded coral worm.

Back to the modification, we then plan to use the deckwash for fresh and saltwater and the secondary effect is that it allows for the toilet to be flushed with fresh water when we leave the yacht for a while ie no stagnant saltwater smells.

All theory though... :oops:
James

Smooth Cruiser

Post by Smooth Cruiser » Tue May 12, 2009 1:12 am

You need to be careful with what you are thinking about puremajek, I can see two risks. First plumbing salt water to fresh water even with a non return valve is a bit of a no-no. Make sure if you are going to go this way that you work your levels out so that salt water can never get into the fresh tanks even if the check valves fail or someone leaves other valves in wrong positions.

With the deck wash having the capability to run off fresh - you run the risk of emptying your tanks very quickly if some well meaning guest cleans the anchor with fresh water. I would be very nervous about this, maybe even to the point of putting a small padlock on the fresh side so that it can't be plumbed that way unless you really really want to. Maybe I'm paranoid though!! If there's a way to do something bad somebody at some stage will find that way!!

puremajek

Post by puremajek » Tue May 12, 2009 3:33 am

Totally agree, using ships water would be very unwise.

Make sure if you are going to go this way that you work your levels out so that salt water can never get into the fresh tanks
Which is the reason for a non-return valve tap-type fitting where we can only connect the hose. Using our freshwater filler hose (from mains water) was the intention. We don't have a way of connecting a water hose from the freshwater tanks on the yacht.
First plumbing salt water to fresh water even with a non return valve is a bit of a no-no
Having said this, there must be a way around it as most 'auto-flush' desalinators use ships freshwater into the saltwater line via a 'T' with no non return valve. Here they rely on power (or loss of power actually), to close the freshwater-flush-valve. The point you raised of using all the ships freshwater would be a concern here too if the valve did not close.

Not sure how they get around that challenge. Any thoughts?
James

44c

Post by 44c » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:23 pm

It works! I can flush the toilet with fresh water whenever we leave the boat, easy as pie. Flushes the entire inlet line too.

I though there might be the possibility of the toilet sucking air down the sink drain, even when the seacock was open, but it doesn't happen.

It might be a fluke, but it works perfectly.