What's wrong with this idea?

The watery and smelly sides of life.
judy

Post by judy » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:03 pm

44c wrote:I should clarify, I'm not actually going to have a shower sump. The shower floor is basically the bottom of the boat (headroom reasons) so I can't drain it to a lower point. The plan is to pump from the lowest point in the shower recess.

We are building a 44C and are doing similar. We plan to have a grating a few centimetres above the floor (depending on the headroom). After each shower or few drains of the sink, we then plan to pump the water out via the toilet, thus frequently flushing the system with fresh water.

judy

Post by judy » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:05 pm

And now I have five posts, I can post a picture:

Smooth Cruiser

Post by Smooth Cruiser » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:26 am

If you don't have a sump, how do you stop the floor from always having water on it? The pump will always leave some behind.

44c

Post by 44c » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:15 am

I'm planning to use a diaphragm pump, with as short and small a suction hose as possible, so it shouldn't leave much water behind. It should only take a quick wipe with a cloth to dry it up.

I'll probably put a low profile teak duckboard in the recess too, with a clear area where the leftover water can be wiped up.

44c

Post by 44c » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:18 am

judy wrote:And now I have five posts, I can post a picture:

What does the light blue line from 3way valve #3 to #4 do?

44c

Post by 44c » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:19 am

judy wrote:
44c wrote:I should clarify, I'm not actually going to have a shower sump. The shower floor is basically the bottom of the boat (headroom reasons) so I can't drain it to a lower point. The plan is to pump from the lowest point in the shower recess.
We are building a 44C and are doing similar. We plan to have a grating a few centimetres above the floor (depending on the headroom). After each shower or few drains of the sink, we then plan to pump the water out via the toilet, thus frequently flushing the system with fresh water.

Yeah, I figured out who you are :D .

judy

Post by judy » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:38 am

44c wrote: What does the light blue line from 3way valve #3 to #4 do?

It converts valve #3 and valve #4 to a four way valve. Would have put a single four way valve instead of both if such thing existed.

The aim was to avoid the need for another pump to empty the holding tank.

Whimsical

Post by Whimsical » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:45 am

Judy

Geeez thats complicated.

I was going to have the holding tank up higher with the outlet above the waterline. Just pump to the tank and if you want it overboard just leave the outlet valve open. One pump and no directional valves. Not much to go wrong.

A pumpout is just a pickup tube to the deck fitting, no valves.

I will just combine the sink and shower outlet into one skin fitting by using a Y in the line. Being a bit above the waterline i don't see the need to complicate it more. I suppose you could ad a Y valve to send it to the holding tank or toilet if you realy wanted

Mike

judy

Post by judy » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:47 am

We hope to be trading this complexity here for simplicity elsewhere in the boat.

Each hull of the boat will have only one inlet and one outlet through its skin, with standpipes on each.

A single fitting with a pickup at the top of the holding tank receives the toilet waste and is used to discharge to land or overboard. (That's why it must be pumped overboard rather than drained).

Here a couple of pictures of our holding tank at the back of our port forward (sail) locker. The head is on the other side of this wall. There's an identical holding tank setup in the starboard forward locker. The pvc piping is for draining the access hatches.

madaz

Post by madaz » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:19 am

My shower has no sump either, more from necessity and lack of head room, as the sump could only be 64 mm deep there was no point having it so i sealed the floor down and will draw the shower water off the floor using a self priming macerator pump, any bit of water left can be sponged off and squeezed out into the sink. thats the plan so far anyway..