pumps

The watery and smelly sides of life.
northerncat

pumps

Post by northerncat » Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:41 pm

on the subject of pumps is it better to get a 99$ 10l per min or do you need more flow per minute what do you chase in a pump, also what sort of flow?pressure do you need for a wash downm pump

sean

Smooth Cruiser

pumps

Post by Smooth Cruiser » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:05 am

I reckon the cheapo is OK - I have an $89 Jabsco 11 l/min.

For a deck wash pump I have a 13.2 l/min Shurflo pump which does a reasonable job - it puts out enough flow for any washing down needs, but the pressure is not great through a normal bore garden hose - a pressure nozzle may help. It is fine for general washing down of dirt that isn't caked on!

Edited to add: The reason I think a cheapo is fine is because I am not left vulnerable if the pump fails. I can always get water out of the tank using one of the other pumps on board or manually - by other pumps I mean the deck wash pump, either of the bilge pumps or even the shower sump pump, all of which could be plumbed in easily (after a good clean out!!) and could deliver fresh water.

puremajek

pumps

Post by puremajek » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:08 am

On the prowl for the gear here.

I have a Jabsco 11 l/min pump with a 50 psi pressure switch and it seems fine as is!!
Would really appreciate an update Smooth Cruiser
Johnson pumps make a 2 litre accumulator
44C, you can't give us any clues on the dirtection you are going?

Thank you in advance
James

44c

pumps

Post by 44c » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:18 am

Geez. I'm still a fair way away from really thinking about pumps. I'm just building the catwalk now. But I can't see myself spending any more than $200 on a pump/accumulator. The way I have laid the boat out, the shower and galley are in the same hull, quite close to where the pump will be, (well it will be almost IN the shower) so there shouldn't be much in the way of pressure losses.

Smooth Cruiser

pumps

Post by Smooth Cruiser » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:13 am

I'm still happy with my basic Jabsco pump. Been in the boat over a year now with no hiccups. (As would be hoped and expected - should provide a few more years trouble free life yet). Water delivery is smooth with no surging with no accumulator, just the volume of the piping seems adequate.

puremajek

pumps

Post by puremajek » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:49 am

Thank you for the quick feedback.

I am wrong or has Johnson pumps bought out or own Jabsco. I saw in one of their brochures (I think) that 'x' unit now replaces the 'old Jabsco xx unit'. Johnson have brought out a unit that is all in one with a 2lt accumulator too.

Sooth Cruiser, do you have separate 'shutoff valves' for hot and/or cold water anywhere in the system in the event of downstream (post tank stage) component failure. Or to put a different spin on the set-up, what is in place to prevent the pump activating and dumping contents through a component/leak failure. Off the yacht - obviously electrics off and no power and therefore no pump!!! Am I missing something here, as I have not located any shutoff valves in any books or drawings of freshwater systems.

PS One or two photos of your yacht on Easycat site - Cruising Tales - Bad Habits.
James

Smooth Cruiser

pumps

Post by Smooth Cruiser » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:48 pm

Saw the photos on the website. Great area for sailing!!

I have no shut off devices downstream at all, all that I do is turn the pump off every time I leave the boat. This is an easier habit to get into than it sounds, every time I walk past the instrument panel I am always checking what is on and what is off as well as battery voltages etc etc. Any time I jump in the dinghy to go ashore I automatically turn off everything electrical on the boat except the fridge and freezer.

When on the boat you can hear if the pum is cycling - even if it is just every few minutes which warns you of a dripping tap - really there is no way that i could lose the tank contents inadvertantly. I also carry about 15L in emergency containers and have the desalinator so if this were to happen it would not be a tragedy. May be a little trickier with kids aboard but you just have to teach them to only turn on the freshwater pump when they want water.

Future

pumps

Post by Future » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:14 am

To restart this discussion:

How many fresh water pumps have people installed in their systems?

I have two freshwater tanks (150 litres each) one in each hull under the floors just forward of the main compression bulkhead.

This means that there is nearly 6m between each tank. The bathroom is in the back of one hull and the galley is on the bridge-deck on the opposite side to the bathroom.

So how do I layout the pump or pumps.

Idea 1:

One pump in the middle of the bridge deck – pump would have to suck the water up out of the hulls and then redistribute to the appropriate taps.

Idea 2:

Two pumps one for each tank – pumps located under the floors behind the tanks. Lots of piping so that the water from each tank and pump can reach both the galley and bathroom.

Moving the tanks is not an option.

Thoughts, suggestions, ideas all greatly appreciated

Thanks
Last edited by Future on Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

madaz

pumps

Post by madaz » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:32 am

Adam from what i gather the closer to the tank you can put the pumps the better. I am looking at having a tank in each hull under the bunks with a pump situated in close proximaty

mahnamahna

pumps

Post by mahnamahna » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:42 am

My tanks (3 x 200 liter) are between the forward bunks on the bridgedeck. I intend to use one tank for the port hull which houses the bathroom including a lavac toilet using fresh water, laundry (which will consist of a washing machine!) and will also service the kitchen which will be up on the bridgedeck. Another tank will service the starboard hull which has an ensuite also with a freshwater lavac, and a sink with cold water only in the rear bunk (for teeth brushing or a drink of water). The third tank will be a spare if we ever need extra water for longer passages or holidays to remote locations. The other use they may get is to take desalinated water to ensure it is potable before being distributed to the other tanks. I will have pumps above the tanks in a hatch in the dashboard (in the saloon) and will be able to use the pumps via junctions to decant from one tank to another if needed. I like redundancy. If a pump fails I can get to it easily for replacement but in the extraordinary circumstance that I cannot replace it for whatever reason I have another fully functioning bathroom running off another tank and pump to get us through until repair can take place. As I said, I am a huge fan of redundancy, 2 hulls, 2 masts, 2 motors, 2 fully functioning bathrooms, in fact 2 of near everything so if one of something does fail, which it would usually do at the most opportune time, you have a fully functioning back up to get you through until repair can take place.