Sarah 41

Build logs from members building catamarans, trimarans and other multi-hull variants.
Beav222

Re: Sarah 41

Post by Beav222 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:57 pm

A question for other Easy builders. Peter wrote in his instructions that all corners must be filleted but I have not heard of anyone filleting the under side of the stringers before you roll the hulls. Has anyone done that and is it nessissary ?

Cheers, Dean
Dean :lol: & Debra :mrgreen:

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than those you did. So throw off the bowlines and sail away. "

— Mark Twain American Writer.

Beav_222@yahoo.com

PS63

Post by PS63 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:36 pm

Hi Dean,
Just trying to remember what we did ...
A lot of the stringers end up being filleted by default, during the fit-out, as the structural shelves and benches are installed. Also, the underfloor areas that are fiberglassed, requires filleting to provide a radius for laying the glass.

In the areas where the stringers are exposed, we filleted the underside mostly because it looks much better.

Personly (other than the edge-mounted upper stringer) I don't think there is any structural purpose to do the undersides of the stringers, the 42mm surface area provides copious glue coverage, but other than adding a heap of time, I guess it couldn't hurt.

Hope you are well, and the build is progressing well.

Pete.

https://pauseandreflect.blog

Beav222

Post by Beav222 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:32 pm

PS63 wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:36 pm
Hi Dean,
Just trying to remember what we did ...
A lot of the stringers end up being filleted by default, during the fit-out, as the structural shelves and benches are installed. Also, the underfloor areas that are fiberglassed, requires filleting to provide a radius for laying the glass.

In the areas where the stringers are exposed, we filleted the underside mostly because it looks much better.

Personly (other than the edge-mounted upper stringer) I don't think there is any structural purpose to do the undersides of the stringers, the 42mm surface area
provides copious glue coverage, but other than adding a heap of time, I guess it couldn't hurt.

Hope you are well, and the build is progressing well.

Pete.

https://pauseandreflect.blog
Thanks so much for the advice.
Dean :lol: & Debra :mrgreen:

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than those you did. So throw off the bowlines and sail away. "

— Mark Twain American Writer.

Beav_222@yahoo.com