Not a build, a partial rebuild...

Build logs from members building catamarans, trimarans and other multi-hull variants.
groper

Re: Not a build, a partial rebuild...

Post by groper » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:12 am

Ok that all makes sense, but what about the pivot bearings- same as the bob oram style rudder shaft bearing of a glass tube or rod inside of a glassed in PVC conduit? How do you get the cassette in and out of the boat- the rod has a clevis pin which is removed and the rod slid to 1 side to allow removal? Looks like you have access via some spin outs on each side?

dennisail

Post by dennisail » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:16 pm

Congrats. You guys done an Amazing job. PS I have 50m of that spectra left.

44c

Post by 44c » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:52 am

groper wrote:Ok that all makes sense, but what about the pivot bearings- same as the bob oram style rudder shaft bearing of a glass tube or rod inside of a glassed in PVC conduit? How do you get the cassette in and out of the boat- the rod has a clevis pin which is removed and the rod slid to 1 side to allow removal? Looks like you have access via some spin outs on each side?
I'm not sure which boat you're asking about. On my boat, because the hydraulic rams are actually inside the casettes, I made a hinge from SS tube and rod, threaded at the end.

On School's Out, the pivots for the cassette must be in line with the pivot point of the tillerhead, so they are on raised "cheeks". I simply epoxied in some SS tube to fit the pivot bolts. Yes, the nuts are enclosed in boxes, which can be used as steps, and are accessed via the spinouts.

To remove cassettes, you simply take the clevis bolt out, then remove the cassette hinge bolts, then lift the rudder and cassette assembly out. Alternately you can remove the tillerhead bolt from the ruddershaft, tilt the cassette and remove the rudder first.

Hope this is of help, it's amazingly hard to explain this stuff in words.

44c

Post by 44c » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:28 am

A couple of photo's of School's Out, back in cruising mode:

In Coongul creek, Fraser Island.

School's Out, Sentier (the Schionning whose rudders I converted to kick-ups) and us.

School's Out, coming out of Island Head creek.

mySerenity

Post by mySerenity » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:17 pm

What a nice sight. Any more pics???

Well done on the rebuild too..
James

https://www.youtube.com/user/puremajek

Smooth Cruiser

Post by Smooth Cruiser » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:29 am

Good to see this great boat straight back out there where it belongs. Well done to all involved.

dennisail

Post by dennisail » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:33 am

Awesome job once again. How far from the sterns would you estimate the outboard mounting brackets are? How close would be too close?

Matt L.

Post by Matt L. » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:28 am

I love this rebuild post! From the saddening shots of it laying wrecked tangled in trees to your wizardry that revived it to life. And the quick turn around of this rebirth is fantastic! Great work.
Feel free to season my comments with IMO's and IMHO's to taste. ;)

44c

Post by 44c » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:10 am

Thanks Matt! Very glad we were able to save School's Out. Far too good a boat to have let go.