Finally Does It

Build logs from members building catamarans, trimarans and other multi-hull variants.
Finally

Re: Finally Does It

Post by Finally » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:54 pm

dazza wrote:Hi David

Your boat is looking great .How many coats of high build have you done so far ?

And what grade sand paper did you use on the high build ?

Looks like its ready for top coat.

Dazza
Hi Dazza

So far, 4 coats.

Well - maybe 6 coats - depending on how you look at it.

The boat was faired then sprayed with 2 coats of Microsurfacer (International) which is actually a sprayable bog so not really "paint". Sanded lightly with 80 grit then finished with 120 grit.

2 coats of highbuild (Jotun Penguard) was then applied. Sanded with 180 grit - 240 around detals areas like the stanchion bases / composite chainplates.

Then 2 coats of polyurethane undercoat (International YRA 600). Most would go another round of Highbuild instead of the Poly. This is where the boat is at the moment. It will be sanded with 320 grit then the final "money shot" will go on. The areas with non-skid miss both the Microsurfacer and Poly undercoat steps. They will go - fair / highbuild then straight to the non skid treatment.

The inside misses one step. Faired / Microsurfacer / Highbuild / Topcoat. A lot of work on the inside as I prefer the "clean" painted look - including the main saloon roof (modern minimalist? :D ). Amazing how much work I created to achieve a "minimalist" look. A painted finish means a lot more work but it should be a lot easier to look after in the longer run (simply wipe down). I've been on enough boats over the years to know that interior panelling (including the ubiquitous "frontrunner") just ages quickly in the tropical salt air environment. Sagging of roof panels and mould in frontrunner being the main problems. But it does mean a lot of forward planning as to where and how you run conduits for lighting cables (see earler photos on Page 7 where i was trialling the location of interior and cockpit lighting).

Fingers crossed for no more spinny windy things with only 3 more weeks to the end of the cyclone "season". Then I can start to breathe a sigh of relief knowing the shelter cover will only need to come off one more time.

David

dazza

Post by dazza » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:41 am

Hi David
Thanks for the information it helps a lot.
Although our guess/estimation for the rest of the project has been pretty close, i total got the fairing / painting wrong.
We budgeted $20000 for painting inside and out :lol:
Keep on sanding.
Dazza

44c

Post by 44c » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:57 am

Come on Dave, is the paint on yet? We're all waiting to see the pictures!

Finally

Post by Finally » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:39 pm

44c wrote:Come on Dave, is the paint on yet? We're all waiting to see the pictures!
Getting the inside done first. The summer heat and humidity has caused some issues with the primer undercoat. We have the International Rep here next week to have a look. It was just too hot as the paint was going off in the pot - getting up to at least 45C in the shed (which I close up to contain fumes / overspray).

In the end decided to continue fairing the inside until the weather cools, then continue painting.

I set up a "through the wall" aircon to try and cool the inside while we are working there . On an overcast day it did "OK" but sunny days the unit could only drag the temperature down to 31 at best but it was still noticeably more comfortable to work in compared to the 40 to 42 "outside".

It's been a very long, very hot summer............

David

Finally

Post by Finally » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:46 pm

OK, it's been a little while so I'll update on what I have been up to.

Boom has been faired and is now in finish primer. To be sanded one more time prior to topcoat.
777 Boom Faired and Microsurfaced 2.jpg
Boom faired and in Microsurfacer. It has since been sanded and is now in finish primer.
776 Boom Faired and Microsurfaced 1.jpg
Inside of boom
Setup a line system in the shelter to paint all the parts (hatches, cupboard doors, bits and pieces etc etc) All parts have now been painted to highbuild stage. You don't realise how many there are til you start fairing and painting them.
779 Parts in Microsurfacer 2.jpg
Line system with some parts painted in Microsurfacer.
Interior has been faired, Microsurfaced, sanded and now painted in Highbuild. Here are some photos of the interior in Highbuild.
785 Bath Toilet and Shower Areas in Highbuild.jpg
Bathroom sink area, toilet and shower areas. Aft port side.
786 Port Hull in Highbuild 1.jpg
Port hull looking forward
788 Lounge and Galley Areas in Highbuild 1.jpg
Lounge and galley areas in highbuild
793 Lounge and Galley Areas in Highbuild 3.jpg
Another view of the lounge and galley areas in highbuild. Faired roof looks awesome (if I don't say so myself)
791 Stbd Hull in Highbuild 3.jpg
Starboard hull looking forward
In the process of marking the remaining pinholes (where do they all come from!!??) to fill then the interior will be ready to sand one more time before topcoat (the money shot). Compared to the original bog fair, then Microsurfacer sand, this sanding session should go a lot more quickly. Painting from the inside out so the exterior will be the last to be done (saving the best til last).

David

44c

Post by 44c » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:53 pm

It all looks awesome Dave, well done!

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:12 am

Looks great, exciting times ahead!

Me2

Post by Me2 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:57 pm

Hi David,

You are doing an unbelievably good job of building the Pacific 40, well done mate.

If any one knows of anyone looking to get into the boat business the entire design of this boat with hull moulds etc is available at a giveaway price and I mean givaway! We would love to see this boat design up and going again. The two other boats are happily sailing with one just having returned from New Caledonia where it regularly out sailed a Schionning 13.5m. https://www.facebook.com/12mCatKit/?ref=bookmarks

Cheers,
Mark Stephens

SecondChance

Post by SecondChance » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:24 pm

Great job, welldone

teamROAM

Post by teamROAM » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:12 am

Looks Awesome David!! I see you have the most important feature of the boom. That being the cradle on the cabin roof to park it in!

Got any new pics for us?

Mick