Finally Does It

Build logs from members building catamarans, trimarans and other multi-hull variants.
Finally

Re: Finally Does It

Post by Finally » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:13 am

Yeah - a real shame.

Only 3 kits were ever sold. Mine, one in Port Fairy (Vic) and one was shipped to California. The one in Port Fairy has been in the water about 18 months or so.

dennisail

Post by dennisail » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:44 pm

Looking great. Where can I find out more about this design? The use of polycore is very interesting. I have not seen it used as the main build material before besides one cat featured in TCP. Did you do much research before deciding on polycore? What are the pros and cons of this material VS foam and balsa?

Finally

Post by Finally » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:44 am

Unfortunately the original business closed as a result of the GFC and the kits are no longer in production. I do believe the current owner of the design (who is also the designer) still has the hull moulds and could, if he had enough pre-sales, consider making them again. Even though the business is no longer, the designer is still supporting me with any questions I might have - a huge thanks to him for this even though he is under no obligation to do so.

I must admit I tossed a lot of coins before deciding to go ahead with this relatively unproven design and material. I liked the layout with it's huge volume, flat decks and large flat panel approach. In the end, foam vs balsa vs polycore vs ply each have their own pros and cons. For instance polycore is better in compression than in shear compared to balsa, foam is lighter but more expensive. If I had plenty of money I would probably prefer foam. And therein lay the other consideration - the price of the kit was very reasonable.

dennisail

Post by dennisail » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:40 pm

Thanks. I look forward to the build. Can you give us a quick run down on the specs of the boat? Ie dry weight, max displacement etc? I wonder if its going to be a good performer. I know they say polycore is heavier, but I wonder by how much..

rexd666
Site Admin

Post by rexd666 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:44 pm

Study Plans for Solitary Island 12 attached.
Attachments
Soitary Island Catamaran.pdf
(690.67 KiB) Downloaded 415 times

Finally

Post by Finally » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:25 pm

An update...

The last photo shows the roof mould in position. I wanted to get the roof done before the weather started getting too hot to work up high in the shelter. Luckily my brother came up from Brissie to give me a hand.

25mm unglassed Polycore is screwed to the mould to achieve the compound curve then glassed both sides. Glass the top side, take it off, glass the underside, then put it back on the mould. Sounds easy when typing it but the roof area is huge (about 30 sq/m by my reckoning). The shelter design meant we couldn't take the roof off in one piece so, in the end, we decided to make it in 4 pieces.
IMAG0070.jpg
The first panels in place
IMG_0521.JPG
Remaining panels in place
The gap in the roof at the front is there for a purpose but you'll just have to wait and see.

Then a foam radius is shaped and glassed to join the roof to the saloon sides
IMG_0587.JPG
We also managed to work on a couple of other things.

The prodder tube made and glassed in place.
IMAG0082.jpg
Prodder tube or Cow's Head?
Lower chainplates (a bit more glass to go over this which has been done since the photo was taken)
IMAG0114.jpg
And an overview with the catwalk now also glassed in position. The lid won't be glassed down for some time.
IMG_0588.JPG
Excuse the mess
It's starting to look more like a boat.

David

Trev

Post by Trev » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:42 pm

Looking good!! going to be a nice boat, keep up the hard work.
Trev

dennisail

Post by dennisail » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:03 pm

Looks awesome. Thanks for the study plans. I really like the design and the designers weight of 4000kg plus 2000kg payload is very good and comparable with foam and balsa designs I have seen. Specially when you consider how much space this appears to have. I like the aesthetics too. Looks very modern, a bit like a Grainger Barefoot. Do you have any info about the other SI12 / P40 that has been built?

Finally

Post by Finally » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:48 am

To me the design looks a lot more like a Fusion than a Barefoot.
dennisail wrote: Do you have any info about the other SI12 / P40 that has been built?
What info are you looking for?

dennisail

Post by dennisail » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:03 pm

Yeah it does look like a fusion.

Just info on how the boats perform, pictures, if the owners are happy with them etc. Shame the GFC has ruined a lot of boat building. :(