Finally Does It

Build logs from members building catamarans, trimarans and other multi-hull variants.
coachdaz

Re: Finally Does It

Post by coachdaz » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:50 am

Finally,

I've just read through your entire blog and it's insane how many times I smiled, went 'wow', or said 'nice'.
Super job. Also put a few of your photos in my 'must do folder'...brilliant.
Been a while since your last update in January, how is progress?
One question if you don't mind, I have a schionning w saildrive, but not lifting rudders and you putting skegs has sparked my interest.
Could you give me an idea of the size and design/layup of them that you did.

Bravo,
Darren

Finally

Post by Finally » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:10 am

Hi Darren

I've been meaning to do another photo update. I'll get to it in a week or so. I've effectively completed the main structural build and currently working on the deck layout for backing plates etc. Fairing will start in earnest in the next couple of weeks.

With regard to the skegs, they are glassed over shaped foam with a 6mm solid glass plate glued / filleted and glassed to the bottom edge. They are about the same depth as the rudder and a smidge deeper than the saildrive, length is about 450mm. Glass layup over the foam is 1 x DB, 3 x uni (run vertically) then 1 x DB. Skeg is glued and glassed to the hull with 3 x DB 300 / 200 then 100 wide. Depending on where you locate them you will also need to stiffen the inside of the hull (longitudinal and across glass over foam - or whatever you prefer). Because I also reversed the engine/saildrive arrangement (the saildrive is at the forward end of the engine compartment) I was lucky in that the skegs are further forward than designed and located between the 2 bulkheads that house the fuel tanks - otherwise they would have been under the engine compartment requiring the internal stiffening I mentioned.

Hope that helps.

David

44c

Post by 44c » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:01 pm

Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh in a few weeks or so.

coachdaz

Post by coachdaz » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:16 pm

David,

Many thanks for the insight on your skegs. I too have the reversed saildrive set up, where the bulkheads are not far away from a likely skeg addition. Guess the width of the skegs themselves tapers down from around the 150-200 mm (or more) mark to 40-60 mm at the tip? Looking forward to seeing the next installment of photos.

best
Darren

Finally

Post by Finally » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:44 am

Darren

I just did a quick measure of the skegs (it was a bit of a guess before).

Top approx 550mm long
Base approx 250mm long

They actually don't taper that much. They are about 90mm wide at the top but filleted to the hull with a big fat glue fillet before glassing as mentioned above. Just above the base plate it's about 40mm wide Once again a nice fat fillet to glass the glass base plate to the bottom. This is with all the glass layups on them so the foam blanks are actually smaller.

Here are a few more shots that might help. The foam blanks were shaped then cut down to the size I wanted. The photo shows the base as being only 20mm or so wide - this is where I chopped it off to the depth I needed. That's why they ended up about 40mm wide at the base.
001 Skeg side view.JPG
002 Skeg end view.JPG
484 Skegs Glassed On 2.jpg
David

coachdaz

Post by coachdaz » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:44 pm

David, thanks again for your insight, love your work. Best, Darren

Finally

Post by Finally » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:11 pm

Wow - I can't believe it's been nearly 12 months since my last post.

A lot has happened so I'll start uploading some photos which I hope you'll find of interest. I'll do this over several posts to get you up to date.

After I glassed in the davits I decided I wanted more solar power. I thought the best place to put them was between the davits, so I made up a frame and glassed it all in.
505 Solar Panel Frame 4.jpg
Solar panel frame
521 Solar Panel Frame 16.jpg
Dry fit solar panels
527 Stern Hawse Pipe 3.jpg
Stern hawse pipe and folding cleat (idea stolen from "Roam" - thanks Mick)
520 Stern Hawse Pipe 2.jpg
Stern hawse pipe from "outside"
524 Bow Hawe Pipes 1.jpg
Bow Hawse pipe and cleat
545 Stern Floodlight 1.jpg
Stern floodlight cowels
553 Secondary Winch Location Trial.jpg
Stanchion bases with fairleads glassed down
548 Cockpit Light Location Trial 3.jpg
Working out where to place cockpit lighting for recess cutouts
550 Cockpit Light Location Trial 5.jpg
Another view of cockpit lighting
559 Main Cabin Light Location Trial 3.jpg
Working out main cabin lighting for recess cutouts (roof is going to be faired). If you can see them through the mess :^)
Also located the lights over the galley / nav area but looks like I forgot to take a photo of that. The wiring in both the cockpit and main cabin will allow me to chose many combinations of lights I want on from just one light to the whole lot (if I want).
564 Main Window Cutout 3.jpg
Main fixed windows cut out, decored, uni banded and glassed over.
That should do for instalment 1. I'll post the next lot of photos shortly.

David

Finally

Post by Finally » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:16 pm

Next instalment - my multi function table.

I had plans early on in the build as to where I would like to locate gas bottles / hot water system and BBQ (Weber). But when I got a gas fitter out to make sure what I was proposing actually met the regs I was told "nope" so I had to rethink my plans. In the end I opted to put the weber in a cabinet under the main table.

I also wanted to table to be multifunction. Removable to the cockpit when at anchor for those balmy tropical days and nights to have meals and convertible to an extra bed for passage sailing / short stay guests when there isn't enough room in the other berths. This is what I came up with.
567 Table Setup 3.jpg
Cabinet under table...
568 Table Setup 4.jpg
..which hinges at the top to store the weber...
570 Table Setup 6.jpg
..and drops down for the extra bed
Now that I had settled on this plan, I had a couple of pieces left from the kit (they were supposed to be used in the original table construction which was a fixed table). These pieces looked the perfect size to make a couple of drink / nibblies tables - once the table is removed to the cockpit. This allows guests to get in and out easily (without having to shuffle around a fixed table) and the tops are easily enough stored out of the way when not in use.
569 Table Setup 5.jpg
Bar tables
And all this is done with about $50 worth of PVC fittings and hours of head scratching. Pretty happy with the way it all came together. I'll admit, it's a little awkward to remove the table on your own (but it is doable). But dead easy with two persons.

More to follow.

David

Finally

Post by Finally » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:11 pm

Ok - next lot of photos.......let the fairing begin in earnest.
603 Cockpit Fairing 3.jpg
Cockpit
583 Main Cabin Roof Fairing 1.jpg
"Lounge" area - started on the roof.
604 Main Cabin Fairing 3.jpg
Galley and Nav areas
627 Starboard Hull Fairing 8.jpg
Hull topsides
636 Bow Fairing 2.jpg
Bow stem fairing
634 Port Deck Fairing 2.jpg
Port deck area
638 Foredeck Fairing 1.jpg
Foredeck fairing
644 Striker Fairing 1.jpg
Striker and forestay chainplate
648 Under Catwalk and Prodder Fairing 2.jpg
Catwalk and bridgedeck turn
David

Finally

Post by Finally » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:23 pm

And the final lot of photos - the difference it makes once it all becomes one colour. Microsurfacer applied - pity it gets sanded off in readiness for highbuild primer.
662 Under Catwalk and Prodder Microsurfacer 2.jpg
Under catwalk and prodder
664 Forebeam Microsurfacer 2.jpg
Forebeam and striker
667 Port Chamfer Panel Microsurfacer 2.jpg
Port chamfer panel
668 Port Hull Microsurfacer 2.jpg
Port topsides
669 Port Hull Microsurfacer 3.jpg
Port topsides
670 Port Hull Mircosurfacer 4.jpg
Port topsides from stern
673 Port Chamfer Panel Microsurfacer 3.jpg
Trampoline surrounds and port chamfer panel
680 Solar Panel Frame Microsurfacer 6.jpg
Solar panel frame
683 Port Hull and Gunwales Microsurfaced.jpg
Coming along
.....and the fairing continues.......

Hope to finish the cockpit to microsurfacer stage in the next week, then the saloon sides and roof margins (where the gloss paint will go) the following week. Then start sanding again.

David