Not a build, just a renovation :)

Build logs from members building catamarans, trimarans and other multi-hull variants.
44c

Re: Not a build, just a renovation :)

Post by 44c » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:34 am

Hi Nick, thanks for the visit, you'll be sailing soon! Doing a great job on both boats, talk about having plenty on your plate!

Cheers, Alan.

mahnamahna

Post by mahnamahna » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:25 am

Hi Groper,

I notice from earlier pics that the radar dome is on a post in the middle of the roof, is this correct and is this going to remain where you have it? Does having a mast in front of the dome have any effect on its accuracy/efficiency etc?

I cant have the radar on the mast because it either rotates or if I go with the wing sail the sail rotates around it, so I too am building a mount in the middle of my roof toward the rear so that the booms clear it. I understand the higher the dome the better distance it can read, but I will just have to live with it being just above roof level, besides, many power boats have them mounted as low as mine will end up.

Any feedback on a behind the mast(s) mount would be great.

groper

Post by groper » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:23 pm

Got the mast up... Still gotta do the boom and a bunch of deck hardware... All synthetic standing rigging...

Mahnamahna , the radar is going to be relocated to the targa bar behind the cockpit. Still got to build it... We got talked out of mounting on the mast as they seem to have more trouble up there due to the vibration / movement according to the rigger, they apparently fail often when mounted up there??? Honestly, I'll hardly ever use the radar, so I don't particularly care how much range we will loose, you only need it to work a mile or so when sailing at night to dodge the big steamers...

Finally

Post by Finally » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:41 am

A big step forward for your reno.

I like where you have put the chainplates for your uppers on the cabin sides. It keeps your side decks unobstructed - a nice, clear pathway.

David

Corley

Post by Corley » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:04 pm

Cool to see this boat approaching completion.
Multihull news and my projects http://trimaranproject.blogspot.com.au/
Multihull Yacht Club of Victoria http://mycv-news.blogspot.com.au/

groper

Post by groper » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:24 am

Well we scored another free sail from some friendly folk, only a tiny little pin top main with an 8m luff and a 3.5m foot. So now we have a jib and a main :)

We took CNO out for a few days just passed, on the way out we managed to tear the old Kevlar racing jib we were given off a beneteau 32 whilst sailing to windward in about 10kts true wind. We flew it again on the way home as we had the wind behind us and figured it would hold together with less pressure in it. The winds were extremely light heading home. We managed around 7knots with 1 engine running at about half throttle in a 6knot quartering behind wind using these tiny little blown out sails we were given. I simply can't wait until we get our proper sails delivered so we can switch off the engine entirely. I installed the folding prop on one of the saildrives so we leave that engine off and motor sail with the other, not a bad way to go as the larger fixed prop seems to deliver quite a bit more thrust than the little 2 blade folders...

Finally

Post by Finally » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:23 am

As you know, I was at Palm Cove Christmas / Boxing Day.

Saw you heading out Boxing Day morning.

Glorious weather you lucky sod.

Crappy sails or not, at least you're out there while I'm still sweating it out, up to my elbows in epoxy.

groper

Post by groper » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:35 am

The new sails arrived not long ago, got a new pic and a new vid which shows some of the progress to date...

Corley

Post by Corley » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:24 pm

Looking good, how tall is the mast? The rig looks modest not that there is anything wrong with that.
Multihull news and my projects http://trimaranproject.blogspot.com.au/
Multihull Yacht Club of Victoria http://mycv-news.blogspot.com.au/

groper

Post by groper » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:41 pm

It's a crappy photo Corley a bit of distortion in it, I had to use the panorama function in the mobile phone camera so that I could get the entire sail in the pic. The video gives a perspective from deck level. The mast is still pretty modest tho, as per bob Orams original spec, although it's roof stepped on a compression post as opposed to deck stepped on the mast beam. Total mast height is around 14.4m iirc, the luff of the main sail is 13.2m.... Foot is 4.6m so the main sail area is only 43sqm. The number 2 genoa on the furler is about 27sqm with a 13.5m luff. Had it zipping along at 12.5kts today on a reach, I think a bullet of wind came through at maybe 20kts, but I wasn't paying attention to the wind speed at the time... It's not a particularly fast boat, I need to consider slipping her and chopping off the mini keels and installing a dagger board :idea: