Build logs from members building catamarans, trimarans and other multi-hull variants.
Matt L.

Post by Matt L. » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:18 pm

I think Carbon is expensive because it's made from pure excitement!
IMG_20151110_134352.jpg
End of the dinghy davit.
IMG_20151110_133903.jpg
Tiller gooseneck clamp.
IMG_20151110_133722.jpg
Tiller gooseneck.
IMG_20151110_134007.jpg
Tiller, kevlar/carbon handle. 49er tapered prod.

Keen to share more when I get the laptop back after the kids watch a movie.
Feel free to season my comments with IMO's and IMHO's to taste. ;)

Matt L.

Re: 15.

Post by Matt L. » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:37 pm

Hi everyone, I haven't left the property for nearly 3 months. I feel I'm near the end of my struggle, though admittedly I've felt this way the last 2 Christmas' . Mmmm...
I haven't really sought out the internet till now, but I'm hoping this Home Build community can help spur me on to the finish. Please excuse my undeveloped online manners, I'll try to use the emotives to show when I'm trying to be funny and not just a smart arse...luckily my loathe of them has been hackneyed to tolerance. :roll: There's one there.
IMG_20150215_154424.jpg
I'm at the painting stage, mixed emotions...exciting but scary as heck!
20141019_155651.jpg
20141019_155651.jpg (123.85 KiB) Viewed 6835 times
It's not all YELLOW.

Matt L.

Post by Matt L. » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:10 pm

We started our build in 2000...yep! Of course there's more to the story and excuses than that.
Started with Ron Given 'Occam's Razor' plans, but the plan was to make some alterations. Which we did from the lofting stage and have continued to do along the way. It,s kind of morphed?
I think sticking to concise plans that meet your brief is a far wiser approach. But to be honest if i was to build another one I'd make all the same but different mistakes. Our organic method has been the part of our build that I've most enjoyed!
I have enjoyed the build but I never really wanted to be Noah...I've really always just wanted to be Kevin Costner in Water World.

Here's a photo sequence that perhaps displays our build approach, all pretty low tech and design as you go.
P9260195.JPG
P9260195.JPG (76.29 KiB) Viewed 6830 times
After building outside for a number of years we decided to add a bimini top to the design. We were much younger when we chose the open deck plan.
We strung up a ridiculous mock up of pvc pipe and sheets hanging from the cover frame to get dimensions from (not shown in photo). Plumbing points to the deck to record measurements from some sort of centre line and heights, curves etc. Then we'd look from across the road to see if we could swallow the new shape...like you could tell from pipe and sheets?
1.JPG
1.JPG (76.62 KiB) Viewed 6830 times
Foam is glued together over a male frame mold. Drew one athwartship camber and repeated it on four stations and then fixed them to the end profile rockers, with some intermittent bulkheads to hold it all in winding. Drew my plan shape with battens to the centre line and matched it with offsets on the other side. Glassed top side. flipped it over, glassed the bottom.
5.jpg
Lid in place over table area. Edge lip, windscreen and coaming details glued in place.
6.jpg
Green pipe is another mock, of handle along the visor.
7.JPG
Glassed some of these details in situ to stiffen the whole top. Not bonded to the cabin yet, note the brown packing tape.

to be cont...
Last edited by Matt L. on Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matt L.

Post by Matt L. » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:59 am

8.JPG
Lifted down with a little help.
9.JPG
Flipped upside down, a bit of reinforcing for up-stand poles. Bolt rope track added for drop down clear vinyls. Windscreen frame laminated. Bogged and sanded.
10.JPG
Note, tin cans with packing tape for uniform corners.
11.JPG
Windscreen and visor with built in handle (fiberglass tube from Kilwell).
12.JPG
Bolt rope detail. (pvc conduit, glassed 2 layers EX400 tapes, freehand cut with a 1.5mm cutting disc...nervous moments!)
13.JPG
Flipped upright, bogged and sanded while on the ground.
14.JPG
Lifted back in place on the boat. Glassing the post on.
15.JPG
17.jpg
17.jpg (135.44 KiB) Viewed 6816 times
Window templates. Side ones are polycarb to wrap around the bend, front screen is toughened glass.
18.jpg
18.jpg (121.11 KiB) Viewed 6816 times
20.jpg
20.jpg (126.82 KiB) Viewed 6816 times
Painted
21.jpg
21.jpg (89.21 KiB) Viewed 6816 times
Roof has a lip to catch water (drain in the corner), and another bolt rope built in flush to the aft lip for cockpit awning.
22.jpg
22.jpg (158.54 KiB) Viewed 6816 times
Windows stuck on, with opening hatch's for ventilation.
25.jpg
25.jpg (154.7 KiB) Viewed 6816 times
Solar panels fitted.
24.jpg
24.jpg (150.29 KiB) Viewed 6816 times
Aft view. Yes it's an open area, more of a bimini than a cabin top.(note the black ball valves in the corners to attach a hose, to fill the water tanks from rain collection. Simple.)

The companionways, interior and cockpit were far to developed when we decided on the bimini for added shelter and they greatly dictated our options. Access forward to the mast etc had to be considered. We opted for keeping the bimini small leaving very wide side decks with inboard steps. As time passes you realise you could of stretched your compromises much further that you were prepared to 'back then'. This is probably the biggest downfall of taking a long build time...you change your mind too much. Had the Gunboat 55 appeared years earlier it most likely would have influenced our layout earlier and we would of faced our companionways inboard. Though to be far the G55 is just a modern take on a very old layout...the precursor to the full wingdeck cabin. Seems so obvious now!
Like I've already said, I'd make all new, but the same mistakes again.

more to come...

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:25 am

Massive project Matt! Love the look of those carbon fittings. Glad you're getting to the end of if. Mine was an 11 year affair and not always a love affair! I used to joke with people that I'd have to find a new hobby when I finished....but it was a REALLY good feeling to finish it. Good luck with the rest of your build. Mike

Matt L.

Post by Matt L. » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:49 pm

Cheers Mike. It feels fantastic finishing each area, component etc...I imagine I will wet myself when it floats!! :D :shock:

Welcome any input, queries, requests for more detail on parts (if I can remember), keen to have some dialogue and join into the Home build buzz. Always interesting to revisit my old methods and thought processes and consider alternatives. Usually thought out my reasons for the approach I took and the compromises we made...sometimes those compromises were from a corner that we had backed ourselves into but not too many of those.

Will add another photo sequence soon while riding my 'new to the forum' enthusiasm.

Here we are, still in our twenties, all dressed up for our first big session of gluing foam into the batten mold behind us.
all dressed up for very first glasing of hull.JPG
all dressed up for very first glasing of hull.JPG (85.19 KiB) Viewed 6806 times

mahnamahna

Post by mahnamahna » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:32 am

A lesson in perseverance. For those of us still toiling thinking it will never end, keep going. Its tough to see friends launch and leave, but it also drives that desire to finish.

I just crossed over 10 years on my build. I am currently fairing the hull sides. I have the roof top faired, and the under bridgedeck all the way around the hull bottoms to the chine (I already have my antifoul on). So I have the sides that I am doing now including the inside of each bow to the bridgedeck to do, the curved hull to decks each side and decks (mostly non slip so not much work needed there) and the big one, the rear steps and cockpit, well mostly cockpit, because the rear steps only need the vertical risers faired, the steps and seat tops and cockpit floor will have cork. I have a lot of work to go in the cockpit. I also have a fair bit of wiring, plumbing, steering and motors to hook up.

I have the internal furniture made, but no linings, doors or finishes done inside. I am going to do that on the water. I want to launch. I still have to fair the bathrooms too, maybe I will do those before I launch.

Thanks for the post Matt.

Cheers,

Paul

Matt L.

Post by Matt L. » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:04 am

Hi Paul, funny how you think your getting close until you start telling someone out loud your list of jobs that's left!!?? And that's without going into the detail...the sub-lists.

In the spirit of full disclosure, we will have many jobs to finish on the water too. I have circled the 'must do' jobs and are trying to focus on those in the day and maybe sneak in some of the unnecessaries in the evenings, the luxuries like cupboard doors, hinges on hatches', let alone latches? Plumbing, imagine lights?
Will be a MV for a while with deck gear to fit and rig and sails to save for... Damn I started saying the list out loud :(

A look at an old job completed always cheers me up...

Dinghy davits and SUP racks.

Mock up to decide placement...not there though.
1.jpg
1.jpg (171.8 KiB) Viewed 6789 times
Beam skins reinforced before fitting tubes. Tubes are Melges 32 prods.
2.jpg
2.jpg (140.14 KiB) Viewed 6789 times
Inside the beam, bonded with a mix of carbon unis and EX.
3.jpg
3.jpg (137.15 KiB) Viewed 6789 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (137.91 KiB) Viewed 6789 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (172.69 KiB) Viewed 6789 times
Temp frame, to glass up to, for a hard edge on the outside to avoid a fairing nightmare.
6.jpg
7.jpg
Detail of cutout with flip flop, SUP rack bracket and stern light cap.
8.jpg
Exit block inside the beam.
9.jpg
Turning block, the two lifting lines splice together for one tail.
10.jpg
Upstand block exiting beam leading to the winch.
11.jpg
Stern light end cap.
12.jpg
Made around a ball cock.
13.jpg
13.jpg (147.95 KiB) Viewed 6789 times
SUP racks on the table.
14.jpg
And then I realised I'd made a radar arch like it was the 1990's.
15.jpg
Right...into some sanding.

puremajek

Post by puremajek » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:04 am

What an amazing project. This is huge :o and you should be commended for your perseverance. The reward for you, Paul and others is all worth the effort. We do have 'Pros peeking at the Forum' and this would impress them too. I am one of those who is guilty of building, launching and setting sail to the 'cruising' side of chat, it's the next chapter I suppose. But always drawn back to see how the rest of the DIY building family are progressing.

Appreciate you taking the time to upload your project. Its this that inspires others. Look forward to the next lot of progress.
James

44c

Post by 44c » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:35 pm

Looks like great work being done.

I know it's really tempting to get the boat in the water ASAP, but unless your shed is costing heaps per week, it's better to get as much done in the shed as you can. Everything gets orders of magnitude harder once the boat is in the water.

A simple and (IMO) funny example: When I was registering the boat, they wanted engine numbers. I didn't have them with me, but no problem - I'll just duck home and write them down. Turned into the backyard and oops - the boat's not there any more! It was there for 4 years, but....

Had to hitch up the trailer, tow the dinghy to the boat ramp, launch it, park the car and trailer, walk back to the dinghy, go out to the boat, write the numbers down, go back to the ramp, retrieve the dinghy, drop the trailer off at home.... a 20 minute errand ended up taking hours.