Schionning wilderness 1100 - partial

Build logs from members building catamarans, trimarans and other multi-hull variants.
teamROAM

Re: Schionning wilderness 1100 - partial

Post by teamROAM » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:29 am

Hi

Without meaning to take Darren's thread off track we changed our foils for 2 reasons.

We decided to change the rudder foils after consistent feedback from many owners of similar boats from a range of designers.

We increased overall size (30% deeper and 30% larger surface area) for better offshore downwind steerage.

We improved hydrodynamics of the original rudder plan form. They are still not a high aspect race foil but they are now a couple of steps in that direction.

For us the easiest solution was to take skins of foils we knew worked well. Ours came from Bruce Arm's Big Wave Rider.

Glad we did. When running in rough conditions the top section of the rudder is often out the back of the wave when the sterns lift just as the boat begins to surf which is just the moment when quite a bit of rudder is often needed to get the boat off on the right course. If we had kept the original design there would not be much rudder in the water at all at that point.

To answer your question see_bee regarding balance and trim. Yes in flat water you would be right. In reality offshore in a dynamic seaway the rudder is pretty busy keeping the boat on course as different waves carry the sterns off course.

The good news is rudders are easy to upgrade later if needed. After all we all built boat so making another set of rudders down the track if you decide is needed shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I think alot of designers stick with fixed rudders and beach ability even on dagger board boats which forces them to keep them pretty small.

I regret not building kick ups or retractable rudder foils but 900mm draft is still not bad. Our rudders are about 300mm deeper than the deepest part of the hull.

Mick

coachdaz

Post by coachdaz » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:29 am

Hi all,
Here's a progress report for the boat I bought off Max, who passed away just a week before I got hands on with the boat. I did a month of work in April and then went back to my real work until I got hands on again for the months of September and October. I started as a rank beginner in April with a boat frame largely put together but not entirely so. I had my own ideas for some of the design bits also and May to September included much more reading and learning.
Thanks to former schionning builder and marine engineer Gerry from Paynesville for coming down and going over the boat with a fine tooth comb to tell me what had and had not been glued or glassed, plus with great insight into some system choices. I also got to see his boat and learnt a bunch. That set the scene and this extra expertise was brilliant to have. In April didn't really know DB from uni to look at, but I am quick to learn and must say I have come a long way. I love networking and learning from others. Just before I made the trip to Oz in september I went to Seattle (nb. I live in san diego) to visit Brian Timpe who had also just completed a wilderness 1100 and was packing up his house and heading south to mexico and beyond, just days later....it was likely my only time to see his boat, and he was brilliant to fit me in between packing 30yrs of his life away. Brian had a build blog https://catbuild.wordpress.com/ and is currently sailing near Cabo, Mexico with his wife and son. I made two more visits to schionning builders during my time in Australia. Half way through the two months I visited Tony Guy from Launceston who is building a modified schionning boat, which started life as two waterline hulls when he bought them, but now is looking much more like a Gforce 14 crusing design. What an inventive fella, with wonderful ideas and I was particularly interested in his ability to nut though concepts and make them work. He was the first I had heard of modify the older style raked bows into reverse bows. He and partner Peta are living in a renovated part of the shed and were great hosts. Right at the end of my 2 months I visited diy yachts stalwart, Paul (http://www.yikes.com.au/) and partner Jo up near Gosford NSW. We got a bit of work done lining up stantions and some sanding and I again was like a kid in a toy store.
The shed the boat was in was being sold end of october, and I am thankful I had a few months to get things sorted. It is currently sitting covered up in a paddock waiting for transport by road to the new shed at Cannon Creek. It is such a small world and wouldn't you know it the previous resident in my new shed was Mark Adams and family who had also just completed a stunning wilderness 1100 (Bella Luna)and about now will be heading across Bass Straight to explore Tassie and beyond. Many thanks to other schionning builders David Harris who has built three of them (latest one is D'Estree Bay; and Dan Kallahan (http://divisionii.blogspot.com/) for their insight also. Cannot wait to sail around to their neck of the woods and thank them personally.

Photos include; modifying the front of the boat; starting the fairing; installing engines and saildrives, building a wheel; working on modernising the design with squaring off windows and doorways (with extra strengthening); changing the double aft bed to a more functional set up incl two fold away singles, plus having room for escape hatch and freezer; nutting through heads design, hiding a black water tank, and plumbing, plus finding spots for hot water tank and escape hatch; getting a CF mast to play with, finally preparing the boat to be moved out of the shed, then parked ready for road transport.

Finally here are some photos. Thanks for getting this far.
20160913_145122.jpg
20160923_103026.jpg
20160925_095314.jpg
20160928_100522 (1).jpg
20161001_141923.jpg
20161001_142031.jpg
20161003_123104.jpg
20161001_142132.jpg
20161017_132126.jpg
20161017_132137.jpg
20161022_124801.jpg
20161024_093619.jpg
20161024_113433.jpg
20161024_161301.jpg
waiting.jpg

coachdaz

Post by coachdaz » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:34 am

Hi folks,

Just an update after a reasonably productive and challenging January working on the boat.
I have always been interested in problem solving and like to challenge myself.
January projects included some minor ones like cutting the internal stairs so you could see better where to step, but also a few like adding a duck board, bogging the rear section of the boat and modifying the previous bow shape to a reverse bow. The later was targetted to provide more WL length of around 700 mm, a more 'modern' bow shape, and change to the look of the rather stout top of the schionning bow for the 11 m wilderness version.
Thanks once again to those who help me with their wisdom and insight, much appreciated. Best regards Darren
20170124_202412.jpg
Internal stairs
20170122_210736.jpg
Duck board added and rear section of boat bogged
20170108_175035.jpg
Bow change - playing with lines and shapes
20170124_173239.jpg
Bow change - nearly there
20170124_172901.jpg
Bow change - front view
20170124_173104.jpg
Bow change - top view

teamROAM

Post by teamROAM » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:51 am

Looking Great Darren!!!

Set up for a win now with the boat move done.

Regards
Mick

44c

Post by 44c » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:03 am

The duckboard is a great idea. Ours makes day to day living much easier. Just run the dinghy under the bridgedeck, and lift groceries/fuel etc out of the dinghy on to the duckboard. So easy.