Sarah 41

Build logs from members building catamarans, trimarans and other multi-hull variants.
Beav222

Sarah 41

Post by Beav222 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:33 pm

It's finally time to start the build. Today I have plans for an Easy Sarah ( http://www.Easycatamarans.Com )
Plywood will be here next week. Today I bought the stainless pipe for the rudders. Need plate and have it welded. My shop is twice as big so I have room to do the frame prep. Still need a temp building for the build itself tho. It should happen this summer. As soon as I figure out how to post pics I will.
But for now it should look something like this!!
Bye for now, Dean
Last edited by Beav222 on Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Dean :lol: & Debra :mrgreen:

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than those you did. So throw off the bowlines and sail away. "

— Mark Twain American Writer.

Beav_222@yahoo.com

Beav222

Re: Sarah 41

Post by Beav222 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:41 pm

Anyone that is thinking about building yourself should First, have your head examined !!
Then do all the reshearching you can. Here are a few of what I read.
Attachments
image.jpeg

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than those you did. So throw off the bowlines and sail away. "

Beav_222@yahoo.com

Beav222

Post by Beav222 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:18 pm

image.jpeg
Here are a few more resources.

Beav_222@yahoo.com

Beav222

Post by Beav222 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:06 am

I have noticed the helm station on some boats is on the left and some on the right. Is there any regulations that govern this or is it preference.
Also there are different types of marine plywood such as Fir,Hydrotek Meranti/Keruing,Sapele and Okoume. Which works best and can I use different types for the hulls vs the interior??
Last edited by Beav222 on Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beav_222@yahoo.com

44c

Post by 44c » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:25 am

There is no rule about which side the helm station should be on. However, there is a right of way rule, which is basically that you give way to the right. So while I have two helms, I have the engine controls on the starboard side, so I have better visibility to that side when motoring.

kjay

Post by kjay » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:56 am

I have mine on the starboard side, also the batteries and electrical cabinet are on the starboard side in the saloon settee, so shorter cable runs. also transducer is forward of the starboard mini keel, so shorter cable extension needed. A few people have said that if your steering station is on the starboard side you will be using your left hand for your outboard controls, since you really only use them when berthing I was not bothered with this.
thanks
John

kjay

Post by kjay » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:03 am

BTW I used Gaboon Ply for my build, which is Okoume Ply in the states. My sheets where 9kg a 9mm sheet, Kakoda Ply (not sure if available in the USA) is a bit lighter. Both have aa faces and marine bond glue, Check with you suppliers with regards to weight. You do not necessarily need to use "Marine Grade Ply" as all hull sheeting is covered with fibre glass any way just ensure the ply has the marine glue bonding and clean faces.
John

Beav222

Post by Beav222 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:05 am

kjay wrote:BTW I used Gaboon Ply for my build, which is Okoume Ply in the states. My sheets where 9kg a 9mm sheet, Kakoda Ply (not sure if available in the USA) is a bit lighter. Both have aa faces and marine bond glue, Check with you suppliers with regards to weight. You do not necessarily need to use "Marine Grade Ply" as all hull sheeting is covered with fibre glass any way just ensure the ply has the marine glue bonding and clean faces.
John
Thanks John. I looked at Okoume and it is not rot resistant but the Meranri is. The Meranti is 7 pounds (2 kg) I think heavier per sheet tho that's a lot when you add it all the sheets. Something like 700 pounds or317 kg. It's also $20 per sheet more. There is my delema. A little more weight or less piece of mind about rot. Hmmm what to do??

Beav_222@yahoo.com

Beav222

Post by Beav222 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:13 am

I'm starting to collect the stainless parts too. We have several great scrap yards here.
Also does anyone have air conditioners or coolers on board? There are many on the market. I will be sailing in cool weather so I'm looking for something g like a heat pump for heating and cooling. Any suggestions??

Beav_222@yahoo.com

kjay

Post by kjay » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:40 am

The Ply should never be exposed to water as it is encapsulated in glass and epoxy that is why you can use the okhume ply. Peter Snell told me that once you have completed the hulls it is impossible to then build any significant lightness into the boat. I have saved over 200kg ,(450LBS) by using the lighter ply. Most builders on the forum building Easy boats will have gone done the lighter path.
Good luck with your choices.
John