Sarah 41

Build logs from members building catamarans, trimarans and other multi-hull variants.
cruiserbill

Re: Sarah 41

Post by cruiserbill » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:25 am

Have you seen this site? http://newboatbuilders.com

Beav222

Post by Beav222 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:10 pm

cruiserbill wrote:Have you seen this site? http://newboatbuilders.com
Why yes I have Bill. I even have it bookmarked on my phone. The only thing I don't like is the requirements to use ABYC standards but we have to pay up the wazzuu for it. I am beginning to see why Peter designed the Easy's the way he did. Keeping the fuel and the engines outside was pretty smart. And safer too.
Dean :lol: & Debra :mrgreen:

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than those you did. So throw off the bowlines and sail away. "

— Mark Twain.

Beav_222@yahoo.com

cruiserbill

Post by cruiserbill » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:17 am

The ABYC's fees are ridiculous, but I guess they aren't meant for the one off boat builder, but rather the industry. I think if you followed the guidelines in newboatbuilders.com you would be pretty close to ABYC though.

Beav222

Post by Beav222 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:16 am

Progress!!!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than those you did. So throw off the bowlines and sail away. "

— Mark Twain.

Beav_222@yahoo.com

cruiserbill

Post by cruiserbill » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:47 am

Great start!

kjay

Post by kjay » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:51 pm

Beav,
Just a heads up with regards to frame 2. the sloping top edge of the cutout forms the bottom of the Gas bottle locker. Peter only uses the smaller 4.5kg gas bottle, If you wish to use the larger 9kg gas bottles you will need to lower the floor (the top sloping edge) by about 120mm but you should check out the heights of the gas bottles you have available over there. I went for the 9kg bottles because not only for capacity but they were all the same uniform dimensions, I found there were different heights in the 4.5 kg bottles especially in our swap and go self serve stations. If you found yourself with the taller 4.5kg bottled you wont be able to close the hatch.
However if you are planning to put the gas bottles elsewhere please disregard the comments above.
John

Beav222

Post by Beav222 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:05 pm

kjay wrote:Beav,
Just a heads up with regards to frame 2. the sloping top edge of the cutout forms the bottom of the Gas bottle locker. Peter only uses the smaller 4.5kg gas bottle, If you wish to use the larger 9kg gas bottles you will need to lower the floor (the top sloping edge) by about 120mm but you should check out the heights of the gas bottles you have available over there. I went for the 9kg bottles because not only for capacity but they were all the same uniform dimensions, I found there were different heights in the 4.5 kg bottles especially in our swap and go self serve stations. If you found yourself with the taller 4.5kg bottled you wont be able to close the hatch.
However if you are planning to put the gas bottles elsewhere please disregard the comments above.
John
Thanks John.
I am just about at the stage where I setup the build frame and start the hulls. Not sure about the building shed tho. I'll figure something out. We get high winds here and a temporary building tent would have to be pretty strong or protected from the wind.
I haven't bought my epoxy yet either. Maybe next week. I'm leaning towards system three epoxy as they have a wide variety of products including a fairing compound. Any thoughts??
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

— Mark Twain.

Beav_222@yahoo.com

cruiserbill

Post by cruiserbill » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:11 pm

Keep the pics coming! Great job!

kjay

Post by kjay » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:04 am

My only suggestion regarding the epoxy is once you have found a supplier/brand, stay with that type. You will get extremely familiar with mixing ratios by eye and all the little quirks of the epoxy.
John

Beav222

Post by Beav222 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:33 am

Here is my first video on YouTube.

Sent to you from my man cave!!
More to come. :roll:

— Mark Twain.

Beav_222@yahoo.com