Sarah 41

Build logs from members building catamarans, trimarans and other multi-hull variants.
kjay

Re: Sarah 41

Post by kjay » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:53 am

Beav,
If you look at the plans the hull stringers do not get beveled, the 15 deg angle comes down to the inside of the sheer stringer. You will find the the 68mm x 19mm gets the 15 deg chamfer and fits in between the frames along the hull. The cabin sides are fitted to the outside and come down on top of the sheer stringer. There is a 20mm capping strip of 9mm ply along the outside on top of the sheer stringer, It is all in the plans, it also shows it in cross section. Clear as mud.
John

Boothy

Post by Boothy » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:00 pm

Beav, I haven't written much in the last year (years) but if you look at the first page of Boothy's Barge you'll see the cut John is talking about.

Beav222

Post by Beav222 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:31 am

Thanks to all who have posted. This forum has helped me immensely.

Boothy, I had a good idea what you were telling me and now I'm sure about it and thanks. I am planning to setup the assembly fixture this week end and I welcome all the help I can get. :P :P
Dean :lol: & Debra :mrgreen:

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than those you did. So throw off the bowlines and sail away. "

— Mark Twain.

Beav_222@yahoo.com

Beav222

Post by Beav222 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:45 am

My first fillets. I didn't notice my radio playing in the background with copyrighted music so I'll have to post another video when I do more filleting. :oops:
Last edited by Beav222 on Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than those you did. So throw off the bowlines and sail away. "

— Mark Twain.

Beav_222@yahoo.com

Beav222

Post by Beav222 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:55 pm

Almost all starboard hull framed stood.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

— Mark Twain.

Beav_222@yahoo.com

kjay

Post by kjay » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:31 am

I find using a piping bag (used for frostong cakes) much easier for doing fillets, I buy mine on ebay, just get the largest plastic ones you can find and cut a hole in the end.
One of my initial problems with my mixing of epoxy was I wasn't mixing it thick enough and would find that the fillet had slumped.
Mixing was a science at first with measuring cups and scales, now when thickening the mix you get to know how much to add by eye.
John

Beav222

Post by Beav222 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:53 am

John,
I had heard an icing bag would work every well and I am going to try that. I am going to make a spreader that will make fillets and cleans up the sides as well. Not all of my ideas work but the ones that do save loads of time. :P
Today I faired most of the forward frames to the stringers. I have a # 8 (I think) hand plane I used to fair the frames and it worked every well. I started using these hand tools a couple years ago and struggled until I learned how to sharpen them. If they are scary sharp the work is Easy!!
I don't know what very many of you look like except for James and Chris so I guess I'll say hello.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

— Mark Twain.

Beav_222@yahoo.com

Beav222

Post by Beav222 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:35 am

I was told many many times but......... I'm a little hard headed. When you leave screws where you have to plane, this tool is your friend !!!!!! :evil:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

— Mark Twain.

Beav_222@yahoo.com

Beav222

Post by Beav222 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:41 am

Made a great buy yesterday. Two pressure pots and spray gun $ 120 US. Anybody needs to borrow it just stop by my house and get it. ( hehe )
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

— Mark Twain.

Beav_222@yahoo.com

Beav222

Post by Beav222 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:11 am

Every wood worker should have one of these in their tool box!!
IMG_0572.JPG
The power planer is nice for taking off the bulk but this hand plane will make the surface fair and true.
Last edited by Beav222 on Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

— Mark Twain.

Beav_222@yahoo.com