Sarah 41

Build logs from members building catamarans, trimarans and other multi-hull variants.
mahnamahna

Re: Sarah 41

Post by mahnamahna » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:07 am

I dont think its solar tech we need the quantum leap in. Its battery tech. Hopefully super capicitors will be that leap. MIT is working on commercializing a phone/tablet/laptop super capacitor the size of a stick of gum that goes from flat to full in minutes and would keep any of those charged between 10.days and a month depending on usage. Only a matter of time after that until ev's have 1000km plus range on a 5 minute charge. Then elec boats are a go. Oh and its Paul, Allan is the cranky one with the beautiful boat and stunning cruising pics, none taken :lol: !

44c

Post by 44c » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:24 pm

Beav222 wrote:You are so right Allan.
I guess all things are relative and I'll be wishing for cooler weather soon enough. This time away from boat building has replenished my boat fund $$.
With the advances in solar technology I am still thinking about electric propulsion. I have received a quote from Ocean volt and it seems doable.
I am also thinking about installing an engine in the rear of the cockpit with electric clutches with a generator on one side and dive compressor on the other. There are advantages to this as I can run in hybrid mode . I'm hoping that in 4 years solar tech will be at a point where I won't need much use of the generator.
Cheers Dean
Electric is do-able, with current solar technology, as long as you accept you'll need an appropriately sized genset to provide power.

Being realistic, solar may never be practical as a sole source of propulsion power for a boat. (Except for using the sun indirectly in the form of wind ;) )

The reason is, there just isn't all that much power in sunlight. 1 kW per square metre. So if you had solar panels that were 50% efficient, which is about 2 1/2 times better than present day ones, you'd still need around 50m2 + of solar panels to provide reasonable propulsion 24 hours per day. Even bigger if you want to be able to motor in cloudy periods.

Improvements in battery tech wouldn't hurt, and would make a huge difference to electric cars, where the range and recharge times really limit their usefulness.

For boats though, storing the power is only part of the problem. It's also making the power - cruising boats can't usually plug into the grid.

Just my opinion, but to me the best way to have a "green" boat is to focus on sailing efficiency. If you can sail while others are motoring you're ahead in the game.

Beav222

Post by Beav222 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:10 am

Finally got to work on the boat today. Bow ready for glass.
Attachments
IMG_0975.JPG
IMG_0973.JPG
IMG_0972.JPG
Dean :lol: & Debra :mrgreen:

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than those you did. So throw off the bowlines and sail away. "

— Mark Twain.

Beav_222@yahoo.com

44c

Post by 44c » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:06 am

How warm does it need to be for the epoxy to cure? I'm guessing you'd be using a real fast hardener in the colder months, but still?

Beav222

Post by Beav222 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:46 am

44c wrote:How warm does it need to be for the epoxy to cure? I'm guessing you'd be using a real fast hardener in the colder months, but still?
Hi 44,
I use epoxy from US composites. The manufacturer says thier epoxy is equal to or better than the strength of West system epoxy's. I have not been able to glue anything for two months as the only heat I have in my shop is wood heat. It must be at least 60 F or 15 C for my medium set epoxy to cure properly. The manufacturer says it will cure below the temperature but the longer the cure time the more absorption of moisture. The pieces I posted have been glued up for quite some time. We have had temperatures here down to -10 F. The last couple days has been near 50 F. But I still haven't decided the type of temporary structure to build in and I'm still weighing an option of building a permanent building as it will help my resale value.
Last edited by Beav222 on Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than those you did. So throw off the bowlines and sail away. "

— Mark Twain.

Beav_222@yahoo.com

Beav222

Post by Beav222 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:22 am

mahnamahna wrote:I dont think its solar tech we need the quantum leap in. Its battery tech. Hopefully super capicitors will be that leap. MIT is working on commercializing a phone/tablet/laptop super capacitor the size of a stick of gum that goes from flat to full in minutes and would keep any of those charged between 10.days and a month depending on usage. Only a matter of time after that until ev's have 1000km plus range on a 5 minute charge. Then elec boats are a go. Oh and its Paul, Allan is the cranky one with the beautiful boat and stunning cruising pics, none taken :lol: !
I knew as soon as I hit the send button I had it wrong. I even went looking for some of your posts to get it right. In any case I am looking forward to E P. I can put enough batteries on my boat but cannot charge them fast enough to run long distances. I will have a genny but it still eats up fuel.
BTW I read the Zen post where you and Allan were sparing like heavyweight boxers. Quite entertaining. :lol: :lol:

— Mark Twain.

Beav_222@yahoo.com

mahnamahna

Post by mahnamahna » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:30 pm

[quote] BTW I read the Zen post where you and Allan were sparing like heavyweight boxers. Quite entertaining. :lol: :lol:[quote]
Funnier still is Al and I seem to have changed sides. I read on cruisers forum where Allan posted that (and I am paraphrasing here) a friend on a sister Oram seemed to have cracked the triumvirate of cheap, fast and comfortable. As forums are want to be, a challenger claimed the sister ship a bit rough so not all three ticked. Whereupon Allan seemed to argue my point in the zen thread that beauty is not always in the shiney glittery smoothness. My point exactly whereupon I proceeded to sand for another 6 months! I would have preferred to change my mind without the 6 hellish summer months wasted in my shed. Its easier to flip flop around when the toughest choice for the day is whether or not to snorkel!!! Enjoy.

44c

Post by 44c » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:01 am

That boat wasn't an Oram. It was "Fantasia", owner designed and built. And in fact it was originally quite well finished. But years of very hard sailing, and LOTS of racing have taken a toll.

ANyway, the standard of finish has little effect on either cheap, or fast, or comfortable...

And my point in the Zen thread was based on my experience repairing School's Out, that on my boat, if I'd maybe done 2 more coats of highbuild and boarded them, the finish would have improved substantially. Maybe an extra week for a huge improvement.

I'm still very happy with my boat, but the finish we got on Schools Out was outstanding.

Really though it's a personal choice. It's about what makes you happy. Myself, I wouldn't be happy after 10 + years in a hot shed, with a boat that looks like a potato.... but other might be. Up to them.

mahnamahna

Post by mahnamahna » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:41 pm

44c wrote:
ANyway, the standard of finish has little effect on either cheap, or fast, or comfortable...
Well I am not sure standard of finish, when we are talking of cosmetic appearance, and that is 99% of the purpose of fairing, isnt contributing greatly to cost inflation. I would say most people would spend 20% of build time on fairing. If you are paying rent or labour thats a healthy chunk of cost. Not to mention material. Just the 2 more coats of highbuild you mentioned is another $700 on top of whatever you had already spent to that point. Not huge in the overall scheme of a modern cat but I wouldn't be the first builder whose life changes caused them to run out of money before completion, or worse those that sadly ran out of time.

I think my position on this topic stands the test of time notwithstanding my hypocrisy by sanding again for months.

44c

Post by 44c » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:03 pm

Can't speak for anyone else, but I sure as hell didn't spend a year on fairing.

Anyway, you know best. You always do.