Sarah 41

Build logs from members building catamarans, trimarans and other multi-hull variants.
Beav222

Re: Sarah 41

Post by Beav222 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:49 am

That's true David and the next day I had all the frames mounted and most stringers fitted.
IMG_1490.JPG
IMG_1489.JPG
IMG_1487.JPG
IMG_1485.JPG
IMG_1484.JPG
IMG_1466.JPG
Dean :lol: & Debra :mrgreen:

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than those you did. So throw off the bowlines and sail away. "

— Mark Twain American Writer.

Beav_222@yahoo.com

SecondChance

Post by SecondChance » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:16 am

thanks for the photo's and your comments, i wil look at them print them in my mind so it will males my build a lot easyer

Finally

Post by Finally » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:40 am

Gotta be pleased with that day's work....well done

Beav222

Post by Beav222 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:50 am

:D

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than those you did. So throw off the bowlines and sail away. "

Beav_222@yahoo.com

PS63

Post by PS63 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:41 pm

Hey: just checked in, looks like you are going great! I still can't quite believe how much faster our second hull took to assemble. Looking back the time difference seems improbable, but it just was. Keep up the good work. You'll be thinking about the bridgedeck soon!

Beav222

Post by Beav222 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:24 pm

PS63 wrote:Hey: just checked in, looks like you are going great! I still can't quite believe how much faster our second hull took to assemble. Looking back the time difference seems improbable, but it just was. Keep up the good work. You'll be thinking about the bridgedeck soon!
Hi there PS,
I think it’s a little misleading because the first hull was a learning process. There are some things I would add to the instructions that would make it a little easier to understand what to do at certain phases of the build but all in all it was not that hard once I got started. The second hull went faster because 1 I am building as I get the money for now, (more about that later) 2, I did a lot of work during the first hull that went into the second like all the frames were already cut out and the assembly fixture was layer out and the keel was done. I did have to wait for materials a few times and like you say life happens, just keep at it. I was also shut down for 3 month last winter because it was just too cold. I have a little sanding left to do then fiberglassing can start.
The next stage of the build is a shop to assemble the rest of the Yacht. In a year I will have the rest of the money for building so there will be no delays beyond that. My target completion date in 3 1/2 years.
Cheers Dean

Beav_222@yahoo.com

Beav222

Post by Beav222 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:16 am

Laying in bed this morning as usual I had that moment of clarity that we all have.
I have had the most wonderful time building my Easy catamaran and I just wanted to share a few view points with anyone that is either building or considering building. We must first look at why we want to build. Weather it’s because we want a more affordable Yacht or to increase our status or to rid ourselves of the demons we’ve created in our past. Or to prove we can do what we set our minds to. I would say if you are going to take on this level of detication, don’t take it lightly. But once we’ve made the decision remember this should be a fun and rewarding “and “ challenging at the same time. We are going to encounter highs and low but don’t be discouraged. Just stay at it, things always have a way of working out. I am building my my hulls in a building that only allow for one at a time and I’m at the fiberglassing stage of the second hull. I would recommend building both hulls at the same time so each are the same. That’s not to say each of mine are not both equal but they are not the same with slight differences. The frames were all cut two at a time so the shape of them is the same and the shape of the hulls are the same but there are little things I wish I could have compared from one to the other such as the shape of the bow radius for and aft. Jim gave some great advice in his book “ don’t over think it”. You’ll find out about when you get there!!
As I suggested try to build everything two at a time and you will be rewarded.
Cheers Dean
Last edited by Beav222 on Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beav_222@yahoo.com

Beav222

Post by Beav222 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:42 am

Finally wrote:Gotta be pleased with that day's work....well done
Thanks a bunch!!!

Beav_222@yahoo.com

Beav222

Post by Beav222 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:31 am

I’ll have to run this by Peter but in the mean time I’d like some feedback on composite chain plates.
Attachments
6CC79AF0-3BC4-435E-9080-D64DC0EEA3F5.jpeg
6CC79AF0-3BC4-435E-9080-D64DC0EEA3F5.jpeg (18.51 KiB) Viewed 3821 times
D01BDFAF-0C66-446D-A7B2-A1E577ACF3BD.png
C7C7A2A6-D0E5-49AE-8B20-675C4AEADE09.png

Beav_222@yahoo.com

44c

Post by 44c » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:14 am

I would never do stainless Steel chainplates after having fibreglass ones.

There are no downsides. They'll last longer than the boat, never leak, no worries about crevice corrosion.

You could use carbon fibre, but for a cruising boat, I don't really see the value over fibreglass. You might save a couple of kilo's.