Easy Sarah Questions

Build logs from members building catamarans, trimarans and other multi-hull variants.
bluscape

Easy Sarah Questions

Post by bluscape » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:29 pm

Hi,

This is my first post on this forum. I hard time joining the forum but James eventually got me enrolled. Thanks James.

I'm considering building an Easy Sarah and have two questions at this stage.

1.) My first question is regarding the seaworthiness of Sarah. I will do mostly coastal cruising but will have to do an ocean passage every now and then.
I'm quite certain she is capable of doing it but need some reassurance from you guys. Have any of you done an ocean passage in one of the Snell designs? I have spoken to to Anne Snell and she said Sarah will do fine.

2.) I do not want to deviate from the design but for long term sanity, I'm considering doing the hulls (and only the hulls) in foam sandwich. This way I can worry less about any possibility of the wood rotting. Because the sheeting of the hulls consist of flat plywood panels, I can treat the foam panels the same way. I might have to add extra reinforcement for the keel though. I know Snell's designs are all bout low cost and easy building but I'd rather spend a little more time and money on the hulls for longevity. What is your opinion about this?

Thank you

MC

Bingo

Re: Easy Sarah Questions

Post by Bingo » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:00 pm

Gday Mc . Nothing will rot or delaminate if the job is done properly, I Have a better idea (opinion) It is very much a buyers market here in this country at the moment , there are currently 2 easys for sale here in Darwin and several others on the east coast. It is much easier and in the long run cheaper to buy and modify to your liking as I am currently doing. Building a boat requires a huge commitment as many forum members will I’m sure agree, you will not only realise your dream sooner, but chances are you’ll still be healthy and quiet possibly even married. Cheers. Bingo

bluscape

Post by bluscape » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:57 pm

Hi Bingo,

Thanks for the response, but I need to build myself. I know it is not a small task but I'm committed.
Sure nothing will rot by itself, if done properly. But beaching and accidental contact with coral and rocks can/will expose the wood.

Thanks

Finally

Post by Finally » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:55 pm

But beaching and accidental contact with coral and rocks can/will expose the wood.
And coral and rocks will do exactly the same with foam - which will also rot (go soft and mushy) if exposed to salt water.

Insofar as ocean passages I remember reading an article of 2 Easy's sailing together from the Gold Coast to New Caledonia. Ocean passaging in a well made Easy with competent crew would not be an issue.

44c

Post by 44c » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:39 pm

It would actually make more sense to use foam in the decks rather than the hulls. There are far more fittings and penetrations, and fresh water is much more destructive to wood than seawater is.

bluscape

Post by bluscape » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:52 am

Well, that kills the idea of composite hulls. There are so many types of core, I can't think all of them will go mushy. I'm not too informed about core materials so will have to investigate a bit.

Doing the deck is not a bad idea either.

Maybe I should just do the whole boat in composite. Just kidding.

I'm very keen on using composite just because I like the idea and challenge of it. But I might just stick to ply in the end if the mushy case is true for all materials.

Thanks for the replies

Finally

Post by Finally » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:38 am

There are so many types of core, I can't think all of them will go mushy
Because you glass both sides of the ply you are, in effect, building a composite boat - just so happens to be a ply core.

My kit is made from Polycore - a plastic honeycomb composite. This won't rot but like any core (ply, balsa, foam, polycore) there are upsides and downsides. If $ was not an issue I would probably go the foam core road.

bluscape

Post by bluscape » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:50 am

Finally, I think it is clear from my previous messages that I'm looking for an alternative to ply (or wood) core, a synthetic core.

Why would you now propose foam? You previously said foam goes mushy? In the first post I said I'd rather spend more time and money...

Bingo

Post by Bingo » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:50 am

Gday Mc. I think it’s pretty clear that you need to do a whole bunch more investigating. There’s a wealth of information on this and other forums you just have to figure out who offers up the best advice. The gougeon brothers book on boat building is an excellent reference. Cheers. Bingo

bluscape

Post by bluscape » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:42 pm

Gday Bingo. There are other forums like this? That can provide even more information?
The Gougeon Brother on Boat Construction? never heard of it. Where do you get it?

Better I resolve to the other resources you are talking about because I'm clearly not going to find anything useful in this discussion.