Easy Sarah Questions

Build logs from members building catamarans, trimarans and other multi-hull variants.
Finally

Re: Easy Sarah Questions

Post by Finally » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:19 pm

bluscape wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:50 am
Finally, I think it is clear from my previous messages that I'm looking for an alternative to ply (or wood) core, a synthetic core.

Why would you now propose foam? You previously said foam goes mushy? In the first post I said I'd rather spend more time and money...
My original reply was based on the presumption in your post that you thought foam would provide better protection than ply if you ran your boat onto rocks / reef or some other nasty and holed the laminate. The bottom line was that if you broke through the outer glass laminate, then ply and foam will both rot.

My preference for foam was based on the structural strength and weight advantages in a build compared to other composite alternatives - assuming I don't run aground.

Hope that clarifies my position.

44c

Post by 44c » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:16 am

bluscape wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:42 pm
Gday Bingo. There are other forums like this? That can provide even more information?
The Gougeon Brother on Boat Construction? never heard of it. Where do you get it?

Better I resolve to the other resources you are talking about because I'm clearly not going to find anything useful in this discussion.
Why don't you talk to Peter Snell?

Do you know what thickness of foam and what weight of glass you'd need to get the same strength as the plywood? Do you plan to resin infuse or just hand laminate?

Beav222

Post by Beav222 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:02 pm

44c wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:16 am
bluscape wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:42 pm
Gday Bingo. There are other forums like this? That can provide even more information?
The Gougeon Brother on Boat Construction? never heard of it. Where do you get it?

Better I resolve to the other resources you are talking about because I'm clearly not going to find anything useful in this discussion.
Why don't you talk to Peter Snell?

Do you know what thickness of foam and what weight of glass you'd need to get the same strength as the plywood? Do you plan to resin infuse or just hand laminate?
Hi all.
I’m sorry I got into this conversation late but as an Easy builder in the USA I too had reservations about plywood, but I do have a few things to say about the whole thing
1) if you don’t have Jim Comers book “ A sailing catamaran building adventure “ it’s a must for building an EASY.
2) wooden boats have been built for thousands of years and the tradition will go on for thousands of years to come.
3) the Easys are designed to be built out of ply and dimentional lumber so if you change the building material you must redesign the whole structure off the boat. I will attest to the fact that when the build starts the ply seems a little light but with each and every piece you add to the structure it just keeps getting stronger and stronger. Wooden boats are infinitely rebuildable So if you are thinking about building an Easy stop trying to reinvent the wheel and build as the tried and proven design is engendered.
3) it sounds like you have stirred up a little emotions here and then you stated you might as well go somewhere else because you didn’t feel you would get credible information. This is a voluntary site which means you are free to come and therefore you are free to go also. If you seriously want to build an Easy I will help as much as I can as will any other builders here.
Happy building Beav.
Dean :lol: & Debra :mrgreen:

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than those you did. So throw off the bowlines and sail away. "

— Mark Twain American Writer.

Beav_222@yahoo.com