SV Whimsical

Build logs from members building catamarans, trimarans and other multi-hull variants.
Whimsical

SV Whimsical

Post by Whimsical » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:15 am

I'll start off the build photos

Mike

Whimsical

SV Whimsical

Post by Whimsical » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:38 am

Rock and Roll

Will be rolling it on Sunday

With the temps out you start to get an appreciation of the internal volume

Mike

Jim

SV Whimsical

Post by Jim » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:32 pm

Looks really good Mike, although a HUGE amount of work. Just looking at all the 44gal drums you have around I could just imagine the amount of damage I would inflict on my body stepping off into space from that height. I have done it often enough with milk crates. Mainly caused from the "head up arse syndrome".

Jim.

Whimsical

SV Whimsical

Post by Whimsical » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:17 am

Jim

I did exactly that yesterday :( My arse caught the edge of the plank. A few choice words were uttered :shock:

The hull represents 2 months work.

Mike

Whimsical

SV Whimsical

Post by Whimsical » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:20 am

Upright

Shoved over to the side it looks like a discarded orphan. Upside down it looked huge now it looks small.

Back to joining panels before the boat bridges the strongback. 50 left out of 140 odd, plus another 33 featherlight panels for the internal furniture. Shit I hate this job.

Mike

44c

SV Whimsical

Post by 44c » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:34 pm

Whimsical wrote: Shit I hate this job.

Mike

Really? Or are you joking? I hope so - it's going to a major part of your life for a while yet.

It looks good Mike, and once you get 2 hulls joined and it actually becomes a boat, I'm sure you'll be happy.

Bruce

SV Whimsical

Post by Bruce » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:47 pm

Do I detect a note of despondency???

Quite understandable.....It IS a big job, but out of a whole lot of flat sheets of stuff, look what you have achieved to date....a bloody BIG structure!!!

I've thought long & hard about the doldrums that can hit, knowing that there is another hull to go, and I have decided to construct both hulls together rather than face what you are now facing.

I'm told that the second hull is a bit easier.....you already know what to do & how to do it, and where the pitfalls are. Also any short cuts that may be able to be safely taken.

So take heart, take your time, and you'll end up with a brilliant vessel that you'll be immensly proud to own & sail.

If it's really getting to you, take some time off like Paul & Jo do on Mahna Mahna every so often.

You'll be surprised how fresh & eager you will feel after a bit of a break.

Good luck :)

Whimsical

SV Whimsical

Post by Whimsical » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:50 pm

I dislike the panel joining job.

I find them too large to handle, not too bad if the cutouts are in a reasonable position though. With the scafe "Z" joins you can't just slide them together as the z catches on the other sheet. You set one side then go to the other but pushing this side stuffs up the first. Pushing in the middle the z catches somewhere and wont let it happen. Rolling them over to glue isn't too bad. By the time I get them laid out and screwed down my back is giving me shit. I can only do 11 panels a day as I have a 7 hour day max and one strip of panels takes 4. I could use the rest of the time but I'm pissed off by then and go home.

Would be a shit load easier with the z press but there isn't one in the west, are too expensive for a one off and I don't have enough electicity available to use it. :(

Mike

steve-l

SV Whimsical

Post by steve-l » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:42 pm

Hi Mike

The end result will be so worth the pain(and the shits).Every day you're on the water the build will become a distant memory.

What you have done so far it's gonna be a great looking boat.

Go Man Go.I'm so jealous.

Steve and Cheryl

44c

SV Whimsical

Post by 44c » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:30 am

Whimsical wrote:I dislike the panel joining job.
I find them too large to handle, not too bad if the cutouts are in a reasonable position though. With the scafe "Z" joins you can't just slide them together as the z catches on the other sheet. You set one side then go to the other but pushing this side stuffs up the first. Pushing in the middle the z catches somewhere and wont let it happen. Rolling them over to glue isn't too bad. By the time I get them laid out and screwed down my back is giving me shit. I can only do 11 panels a day as I have a 7 hour day max and one strip of panels takes 4. I could use the rest of the time but I'm pissed off by then and go home.
Would be a shit load easier with the z press but there isn't one in the west, are too expensive for a one off and I don't have enough electicity available to use it. :(

Mike

Bummer that you can't get hold of the z-press - that makes a huge difference. I pressed my whole kit together in 3 (BIG) days - on my own.

(IIRC it was about 130 sheets)

It doesn't use much power - there's just a small hot water heater and a tiny circulating pump.

Something else that speeds up the process - use the techniglue cartridges and the gun, rather than hand mixing batches of glue. The gun costs a bit - about $150 and $10 each for the mixing nozzles, but it does make the job shitloads easier and quicker.

Actually I have still got the gun and about 10 nozzles here if you were interested.

Something else - if there is an ALDI handy they have a cheap version of a sabre saw, which works great for cutting Duflex - use the metal cutting blade, it lasts for ages. It's very quick and easy for cutting out the tabs from the kit panels. MUCH better than a jigsaw IMHO.

edit: Just looked at your photo's again, and another thing that would help IMHO is to go to Bunnings and buy half a dozen of those cheap folding tables they sell. Would save your back HEAPS, and you'll end up using them through the whole job anyway. At about $50 each you could just about chop them up and use the plywood once you are finished with them.