SV "Somewhere"

Build logs from members building catamarans, trimarans and other multi-hull variants.
44c

Re: SV

Post by 44c » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:01 pm

Hi Gus! How's the build going? Some pics would be great.

Beav222

Post by Beav222 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:09 am

sea_bee wrote:I've been reading your comments for years, Alan, but had never knew the name of your boat. I must have imagined a big 44C on the side. These Hill Inlet photos surprised me, as we were parked beside you only a week earlier in Gulnare.Did this forum thread once have a different title? I'll make sure to call by to say hello next time I see you.

We have mini keels and don't have a problem with growth on the bottom. I coated them in a rich copper epoxy mix while they were still upside down. The timber in the base is a really heavy hardwood to resist bruising. Maybe it is the copper at work. Maybe it is just we sit on the bottom as often as possible.

Chris
Hi Chris
You mentioned the wood in your mini keels is hard wood. Did you use a different type wood there as you did elsewhere on the boat?
I think I've been through your website at least 8 times. Thanks by the way for documenting your progress or all who have documented their build.
It's tough being in the US. There are no Easy builds near to look at.
Dean :lol: & Debra :mrgreen:

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than those you did. So throw off the bowlines and sail away. "

— Mark Twain.

Beav_222@yahoo.com

sea_bee

Post by sea_bee » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:14 pm

Hi Beav. I used Australian eucalyptus hardwood for the foot of the keels. I think it might have been grey gum, but I'm not exactly sure that is correct. Too long ago. I visited the local bush sawmill and told the old timer what I wanted the timber for. He went fishing through his pile of old offcuts, saying that he knows that there's a piece if grey gum (or whatever) under here somewhere. It had been laying around for years. I had it machined down into the usable size and it blunted the blades on the joinery's thicknesser. It was definitely hard and seasoned, but that won't help you in USA. Having another boat to look at makes construction easier.

Sorry for contributing to the drift of this thread. Chris

44c

Post by 44c » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:32 pm

Days like this make it all worthwhile:

At Hardy Lagoon, in perfect weather.

44c

Post by 44c » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:50 pm

The natives were friendly

kjay

Post by kjay » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:08 pm

Wow,
Love photo number 2
thanks for posting Alan
John

44c

Post by 44c » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:16 am

My pleasure! Can't hurt to know where all the sanding and fibreglass itch can lead to.

Beav222

Post by Beav222 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:23 pm

I'm right behind you........about 4 years. Hahahahhah :lol:
Dean :lol: & Debra :mrgreen:

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than those you did. So throw off the bowlines and sail away. "

— Mark Twain.

Beav_222@yahoo.com

buenavistaboats

Post by buenavistaboats » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:31 am

Those pics are so inspiring! Here's a question: how did you attach the tramp to the crossbeam? It looks like you used a rod inside a pipe that is glassed over (cut holes in the pipe and lace to the rod) for the other sides of the tramp, but what about where the tramp attaches to the crossbeam?
Cheers

44c

Post by 44c » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:04 pm

Hi. You're right about the tramp attachment to the hulls, just PVC conduit glassed on with SS rod inside. Holes cut to access the rod. Very simple and neat.

You could do the same with the forebeam if it was a composite one. Mine is aluminium, so I just screwed SS saddles to it. Of course a lot of boats use mast section for the forebeam, so sail slugs work on those. Mine is just round tube though.