Schionning 12.3

Build logs from members building catamarans, trimarans and other multi-hull variants.
mahnamahna

Schionning 12.3

Post by mahnamahna » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:58 am

I havent posted pix of my build so far figuring I have my website up but I am justifiably pleased with this pic

What do you think fellas?

44c

Schionning 12.3

Post by 44c » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:32 pm

Looks very nice. Getting to "lock up" stage is a big step. Feels like you're nearly finished! (In reality you're about 1/3 of the way there....)

mahnamahna

Schionning 12.3

Post by mahnamahna » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:31 am

Its not quite at "Lock up". None of the major panels are glued and glassed on, the cabin wrap around panels have only just been put on this weekend and the hull to deck strip planked panels are yet to be glued and glassed. I wont be gluing and glassing the side hull to deck strip planked panels on for a little while yet.

But having said all of that, I still think I can finish in 2 years or about the same number of hours I have put in so far. I am at 2100 hours in a little over 3 years and plan on another 1000 hours a year this year and next to be finished late in 2010. I plan on hiring some fairing help that will amount to around 400 hours labor and I also plan to use lining (with foam on ultra thin ply or core flute panels) extensively inside to minimize internal fairing and painting. This I believe will also save me a few hundred hours build time.

Finally I will be keeping wiring to a minimum keeping most hard wired items in the cabin and aft of Port hull area. But because of the use of liners I will be able to go more direct with the wiring rather than zigzagging around.

I hope all of these plans are realistic. But so far my goals have been reached pretty close to prediction so I am fairly confident now.

44c

Re: Schionning 12.3

Post by 44c » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:16 pm

Hey Paul, what's happening? Checked out the Mahna mahna website, and it hasn't been updated since jan 2012.

I was thinking you must be getting quite near to finished by now. Any news for us?

Cheers, alan.

Finally

Post by Finally » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:40 am

Alan

Paul changed his website to http://www.yikes.com.au with the latest update being December 2012 which also explains what is happening with his build.

David

mahnamahna

Post by mahnamahna » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:15 pm

Long time between posts here because I run my own blog, but I am finally looking like finishing so thought there might be some interest.

In its final coat of highbuild. I will sand this off with 320 to key it being careful not to burn through anywhere, then top coat in a few weeks, weather (sub 30 degrees needed) permitting.

I am pretty happy with it. Could I have done a better fairing job, sure, but I haven't so it is what it is.

Hopefully next time I can post some topcoat pics. First I have to empty everything else out of the shed and give it a full clean up.

Beav222

Post by Beav222 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:21 pm

I see a lot of work done there. That is quite an accomplishment Alan. When I started me Sarah people told me I was crazy. I said I know but I'm building anyway. I really think those of us that decide to build an stick with it to he end are a rare breed and deserve a lot of pats on the back. I'm just ready to fiberglass my first hull but there is Foot of snow and 0 degrees F.
Anyway congratulations on the progress!!
Dean :lol: & Debra :mrgreen:

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than those you did. So throw off the bowlines and sail away. "

— Mark Twain American Writer.

Beav_222@yahoo.com

mahnamahna

Post by mahnamahna » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:04 pm

Started painting shiny paint today (my brother is doing it).

Just the hull sides today, 2 coats of Jotun imperite 300 in blue grey, the white topsides, cockpit, cabin sides and roof and anywhere else that isn't non slipped will be painted tomorrow and next day, so hopefully finished spraying this week then rolling on non slip sometime after that.

It both showed how much more I could have faired but exceeded my expectations. Day started glumly. The work experience paint mixer (me) didn't stir the paint well enough and first attempt had no pigment at all. Almost in tears, and a quote of $700 for paint from the local auto paint store for replacement paint and Colin, the painter asked "are you sure you stirred this"? He checked it, mixed another pot and problem solved. 3 hours later I had shiny grey sides. Took longer to mask than it did to paint! Terry helped with masking too, thanks Terry.

More pics later this week when white is on.

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:48 am

Hope the rest of the painting goes well. Good luck!

mahnamahna

Post by mahnamahna » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:25 pm

More pics with the white topsides done. It was late and dark outside by the time we finished, so the pics are a little dark. Will take better ones tomorrow.

We didn't paint under where non slip will be nor did I paint under the bridgedeck or under the cockpit roof. I have about 2 litres of grey left (from 8 litres) and will do daggers with that. I used up all the 12 litres of white and could have done with another 4 but I have some old luxathane that I will use to roller the upside down under bridgedeck and cockpit roof. So all up excluding non slip the boat needed 24 litres of paint for 2 coats and I will need about 12 litres of the Kiwi Grip non slip.

Very happy with the result. Its both exhilarating and frustrating at the same time. Thrilled as it gets a shiny finish, bummed at the poor cove that suddenly shows out in the gloss or the pinholes I missed. But where does it end? So quite relieved and glad its finally over.

Still a few months of work ahead but I see that light coming. Afraid it might be an oncoming train, but at least I will be out of the tunnel soon. And most of the work ahead does not include getting covered in dust!